Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear question...

Bear question...

Does anyone know why almost all black bears in Eastern North America are black while Western North America has lots of colour phase bears ?
    Just wondering...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear question...

something to do with more open country

Genetics ��
    Last edited by silvertipp; 07-23-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Likely due to the higher tolerance of gender and racial fluidity out this way.....

I always believed it was an adaptation based on climate, habitat, water etc.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post
    I always believed it was an adaptation based on climate, habitat, water etc.

Chris
    So due to certain environmental conditions a different colour could be a favourable adaptation for survival. So because of natural selection the coloured phases had a better chance to survive and pass on their "coloured" genes to their offspring. Resulting in greater numbers of coloured bears in that particular environment???
    Have I got that right? How about areas where there are equal numbers of black and coloured bears?
    Any geneticists out there??

From what I have heard it from numerous sources, precipitation plays a role. Higher precipitation climates have a higher % of black colored bears. It seems to make sense, areas like the coast, back east etc have more black colored bears while places like Arizona, Utah, Interior of BC have more color phases. From my experience hunting them this holds true

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    Likely due to the higher tolerance of gender and racial fluidity out this way.....
    Lol
    �� ����
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

[QUOTE=scoutlt1;2021780]Likely due to the higher tolerance of gender and racial fluidity out this way.....

Perfect HONEST explanation ! RJ

Just for Men hair dye. Every spring different bears try and hide their natural fur colours by colouring their hair to attract a mate.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!