Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: NStQ First Nations, B.C., Canada advance to final treaty negotiations

Re: NStQ First Nations, B.C., Canada advance to final treaty negotiations

https://globalnews.ca/news/4376655/j...ria-city-hall/

The City of Victoria is going to remove a statue of John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first prime minister, outside of Victoria City Hall.

Victoria city council will be asked to endorse the decision to have the statue removed on Aug. 11 and have a plaque installed in its place.

In collaboration between the city and First Nations, the decision was made to have the plaque read: “In 2017, the City of Victoria began a journey of Truth and Reconciliation with the Lekwungen peoples, the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations, on whose territories the city stands.

“The members of the City Family – part of the City’s Witness Reconciliation Program – have determined that to show progress on the path of reconciliation the City should remove the statue of Sir John A. Macdonald from the front doors of City Hall, while the City, the Nations and the wider community grapple with Macdonald’s complex history as both the first Prime Minister of Canada and a leader of violence against Indigenous Peoples.

“The statue is being stored safely in a city facility. We will keep the public informed as the Witness Reconciliation Program unfolds, and as we find a way to recontextualize Macdonald in an appropriate way.
    In a letter on her campaign website, Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps wrote that in addition to being the first prime minister of Canada, Macdonald was also a “key architect” of the Indian Residential School system.

Helps added that the after the Songhess and Esquimault Nations decide an “appropriate amount of time has passed” a cleansing, blessing and healing ceremony will be held in the space where the statue formerly stood.

“After a year of discussion, deliberation, truth-sharing and seeking counsel from the Songhees and Esquimalt chiefs and councils on multiple occasions, the family decided on the first concrete action we would like to take as we continue the path of truth and reconciliation,” wrote Helps.

“I am ashamed to say that I have an undergraduate degree in Canadian history, a master’s in Canadian history and a half-completed PhD in Canadian history.

“It is not until we began this Witness Reconciliation Program that I learned about the role that Canada’s first prime minister played in developing residential schools, the effects of which are well known to be still felt today both by school attendees and their children and grandchildren.”

In 2017, the union that represents elementary school teachers in Ontario — the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario (EFTO) — was pushing to remove Macdonald’s name from a handful of schools across the province.

The ETFO said at the time that using Macdonald’s name creates an unsafe environment for kids to learn and work in because of what it calls Macdonald’s role as the “architect of genocide against Indigenous Peoples.”

The ETFO said at the time that using Macdonald’s name creates an unsafe environment for kids to learn and work in because of what it calls Macdonald’s role as the “architect of genocide against Indigenous Peoples.”
    What's an ETFO? Did John A. ever set foot in Victoria?

More insanity from the looney left. I expect no better from Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhill View Post
    What's an ETFO? Did John A. ever set foot in Victoria?

More insanity from the looney left. I expect no better from Victoria.
    ETFO - Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario.

It's my opinion that our countries teachers unions and certain university departments have become utterly corrupted by far left driven activism(marxism, anti-capitalism) and have turned their classrooms and students in to little revolutionary projects. It's also my opinion that certain university departments across the country have been, and are working to weaponize first nations against western systems of power/culture to further their own goals. It's a big claim, and I can back that up with evidence, and I will be doing so in the future.

Sirloin rocks folks, computer skills and ability - can cut, paste and doesn't waste.
    I think the part about using the Indians to further their own goal is close, And may I add, like in a chess game, as parts, and positioned strategically along with each other
    Jel -- The steak is tender --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 08-08-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: HBC sticks together and helps hunters

The Tsilhqot'in decision and united nations are guiding all of BC's decision making now.

If they're a government, do we (non-natives) get to vote when Natives run for their collective council?

Because if they have any sway over one molecule of my life without being democratically elected - that would be some form of dictatorship. Unelected government making decisions on my behalf? No thank you.

We're f**ked

Titles and jurisdicktions is interestinck, ? This new working together is good, talking things to conclusion with lil intrusion, reduces confusion, causes trust, it's a must, no upper crust, each on level of production, using instruction, and and team work, ladies and gents, she's checkin the facts and I got the figures. Whaaaa
    Jel -- It takes two to Tango -- can't Tango by yerself, except in your mind ok? Hahahaha ----It takes 2 -- 2 tah Tango --- Orange n Mango -- peas n carrots --
    ------- sugar n spice -- two -- togedder -- 1 + 1 = 2 ---- 1 by itself = 1 - reach out and like go for it! black n white ---right n left -- ups n downs -- ok? --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 08-09-2018 at 07:31 AM. Reason: All of us will be happy with oil and gas available

Yes it would be great
    to bad they aren't open meetings so everyone involved can be represented

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhill View Post
    Because if they have any sway over one molecule of my life without being democratically elected - that would be some form of dictatorship. Unelected government making decisions on my behalf? No thank you.
    It probably makes you as mad as First Nations who have been stuck living under people, rules and regulations limiting their actions for many years (indian agents, band administrators, gold commissioners, every government prior to 1960 where First Nations were not allowed to vote, etc.) that were also not democratically elected by them yet had sway over most of the molecules of their life.