Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Moon Effect

Full Moon Effect

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on hunting during a full moon in late September. Does it significantly affect the rut/ability to call in an Elk and Moose. I hunted Northern BC pre rut a few years back the week of a full moon and didn't see anything during daylight hours....although it was pretty warm.
    " I'm not lost but I don't know where I am"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Full Moon Effect

More activity during full moon at night so less during the day light hours the following sun rise -- hide more during the day after --
    Jelly-Elk-Cranbrerry Brook -- that's what I herd waz the reason -- for deer family -- good question tho, some hunters on HBC will know and give us a heads up - -
    Last edited by Jelvis; 06-20-2018 at 09:39 AM. Reason: I've seen a full moon hahahah or three haha

Damn. You're right. I got a moose draw for September and we're going September 20-30. And there's a full moon Sept. 24.

Hmmm was on Teslin lake last few days of Sept.cow..BIG COW MOOSE almost climbed in our 26 foot boat...10 yards away..called like crazy..and loud.
    Over 30 some years..hasnt affected our ability to call in harvest moose.
    Steven

I've had this happen a couple of times but when deer hunting.... Less active during daylight if the full moon is out and not hidden by cloud cover, find where they are feeding at night during full moon and then find their trails back to their day safe spots and get in between them there before daybreak to intercept them once legal shooting light arises.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Bull moose and cows get real horny the last week of September, into October and if you can call half decent, a cow bawl and a Bull whaa whaa.
    -- Don't over do the calling, do very little until you are set up. Calling gives your location so keep as still as possy bell ding dong.
    Jel - more later on the full moon club -- full moons are mandatory - haha

During a bright moon phase, there will be more activity by game overnight, come sunrise they can be in their bedding area for hours already. Midday hunting during these times can be more productive though, since they will get out of their beds mid morning and go to water, or do some browsing.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

-- I had the pleasure of sitting down at a round table discussion with thee top Ministry guys in the Loops at the time, PHD in conservation up the North Thompson and Kamloops region.
    -- Clued all of us hunters and locals in on the moose rut time, we mostly thought October generally was thee time, butt no, senior biologist says, last week in September is hot and heavy for moose getting turned on and wanting to get it on real bad like.
    -- Mature cows bred first, bred mostly all by October 7 then tapering down a bit and the young ones get attention as they come into heat later in the rut.
    Jel -- Water ways are moose places, ponds, marshes - lil swamps etc. -- a moose needs to drink 2 gallons of water a day to be healthy -- mid Sept on 4 calling
    ---- Whaaaaa whaaaaaa, wha, -------------
    Last edited by Jelvis; 06-20-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Reg 3-28 is my fave

I hate full moons and will never book a hunting trip for ungulates during one

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    During a bright moon phase, there will be more activity by game overnight, come sunrise they can be in their bedding area for hours already. Midday hunting during these times can be more productive though, since they will get out of their beds mid morning and go to water, or do some browsing.
    This is good advice.
    Mid morning and mid afternoon they usually make a move.
    With bull moose you will often only get an antler flash if they turn their head while bedded.
    Full moon hunting just means you need more patience, you can still get it done.