Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: NStQ First Nations, B.C., Canada advance to final treaty negotiations

Re: NStQ First Nations, B.C., Canada advance to final treaty negotiations

Well I guess region 3 will get even busier.....lol

Am I missing something here?
    Territory and title land are two different things. Yes?
    Aren't the shaded areas the "title" land?
    If so, from what I see they're getting redesignated crown land as their own.
    Private land is still just that, private!
    Some of the posts are confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    The process is happening like your saying in small bands also voting what to do?
    -- Indians are not all sure which way to vote yet?
    I don't like voting at all in any elections in the entire country, but I do cuz that's my only right I have basically.
    Jel -- I ain't trying to scare you at all, you want to be aggressive, and show your emotion and raise your voice in public, if your retired that's different.
    -----------If you have a job, especially a government one, keep your mouth controlled -------- you get paid to do a job --- let others mouth off
    -----you can get (set up real ezee) if your known in the coffee room and some one really don't like you much can give you an unprovoked hassle
    So what your really advocating is to stifle our freedom of speech?
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    Yes if you own land and it's in one of the new countries it is still going to be yours you will now be governed and taxed by the fn. You will probably have to hand over your Canadian citizenship and accept your new government and tax system as the way I read it they are all pushing for self government. Just my take on it.

Deliberate obfuscation no doubt.

The Title land is a done deal

I'm guessing just a preview of what we will be seeing throughout areas inside the territory lands, which is currently being negotiated for agreement, similar to the NStQ nations in the beginning of the thread, but its in earlier stages.

also tried to start the morel harvest permits this year too.

If you study the map of native claimed territory, post #57 of this thread, you will notice the communities of Lillooet, Clinton, Wells and the city of Quesnel are within the boundries of this territory. I wonder what the non-native residents of these areas are thinking about these developments. Other than a couple of newspaper articles reporting native opposition to leh moose hunting in the south chillcotin area there has been next to no news coverage of this issue.
    If it does come to pass, I doubt it will go over well with the locals, even the ones who don't hunt or fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Ranger View Post
    If you study the map of native claimed territory, post #57 of this thread, you will notice the communities of Lillooet, Clinton, Wells and the city of Quesnel are within the boundries of this territory. I wonder what the non-native residents of these areas are thinking about these developments. Other than a couple of newspaper articles reporting native opposition to leh moose hunting in the south chillcotin area there has been next to no news coverage of this issue.
    If it does come to pass, I doubt it will go over well with the locals, even the ones who don't hunt or fish.
    I don't think any final agreement would include that whole solid green shaded territory but would likely piece out the land within that similar to this small piece of an agreement. I'm assuming private land and towns will be left out of it (maybe have to pay taxes to Tsilhqot’in though? who knows)
    Backcountry is gone. Public hunting, the future looks bleak.
    Last edited by Sirloin; 07-24-2018 at 10:38 PM.

And of course--No more hunting- no need to own firearms! I don't like where this is all heading. See the news coverage of the latest senseless killing in
    Toronto today? In the Mayor's statement to the public he asks " why does anyone need to own a gun in this city?" My answer is-Ask the police why they need to carry guns in this city. That's why!

While I do share many of your concerns, I just wanted to point out that in the Yukon, this process has already happened with 11 of their 14 first nations signing final agreements in 1988. Up until now, the process hasn't been that bad. The results do create areas of land within the larger "traditional territories" that fall under Category A or Category B land classification. Each category has different rights assigned to it related to timber, mineral rights, hunting, trapping etc. For category A land, it means that non-natives must get written permission from the Band in order to hunt that land. As far as I know, virtually every request is granted. Like Sirloin said, these parcels tend to be small blocks within the much larger traditional territories.

I can't say whether or not this is how things will play out in B.C., but if things do end up like in the Yukon, it's actually a decent solution because--in theory--it puts actual rules in place thereby clarifying all of our rights. Rather than First Nations stirring up trouble with random blockades and what not, there would now be clear rules in place that--in theory--give police and governments the authority to prevent these sorts of actions.

I say "in theory" because my experience in the Yukon also shows me that recently the courts are taking some serious liberties with what were supposed to be "final" agreements. Rather than adhering to the text of the agreements, the courts have decided that the crown now has to abide by the "spirit" of the agreements. Up until now, this discussion has largely taken place around land use planning (and in particular mineral exploration) but there are clouds forming that suggest it could affect other areas like hunting.

What were supposed to be "final agreements" with clearly defined rules to govern modern First Nation-crown interaction has been corrupted by the courts who say "no, what's written on paper and signed wasn't actually all that was agreed upon" and taken it upon themselves to define what was actually meant, greatly expanding the scope of what was actually written in the "final" agreement... A dangerous precedent.

So to summarize, it's my opinion that Final Agreements have the potential to clarify and improve the relationship between native and non-native groups IF those agreements are in fact final and not open to further interpretation. Unfortunately, the courts just can't seem to be satisfied with laws written on paper by governments and are taking it upon themselves to make them up as they see fit.