Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hunter - Lower Mainland

New Hunter - Lower Mainland

Just got my pal/core this past spring, went out and bought the essentials right away - 12 ga, .22 and .270. Just in case, I also put in for some LEH and somehow managed to pull a moose tag. Now I have heard that after pulling a LEH tag once, your chances are reduced for future draws. I don't want to waste this amazing opportunity but I also have zero experience aside from target shooting. I am hoping to find someone out there that would want to take a newbie out and show me how it's done. At the very least, I would greatly appreciate any and all tips that can be given to help me have a successful fall!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter - Lower Mainland

Quote Originally Posted by local.604 View Post
    Just got my pal/core this past spring, went out and bought the essentials right away - 12 ga, .22 and .270. Just in case, I also put in for some LEH and somehow managed to pull a moose tag. Now I have heard that after pulling a LEH tag once, your chances are reduced for future draws. I don't want to waste this amazing opportunity but I also have zero experience aside from target shooting. I am hoping to find someone out there that would want to take a newbie out and show me how it's done. At the very least, I would greatly appreciate any and all tips that can be given to help me have a successful fall!
    Which unit is your moose draw and what time of year? You need to know how lucky you are to get this so you need to make sure you put some hard work in scouting before you go.

It's Cariboo - 502 Zone A - Sept 10 to Sept 30
    Last edited by local.604; 07-22-2018 at 04:57 PM.

I can’t really help as I live on the Island but as someone who got into hunting with very little help, my advice is to go camping in your zone and hike/drive around getting a lay of the land and look for moose sign. If you take the initiative to put some work in on your own it’s been my experience that other hunters will be more willing to help.

Unfortunately with it being such a distance away I only have 2 chances to get up there pre season. Will have to make the most of it!

Thanks!

That's a good draw and good time of year.

That’s a good draw,

right in in my back yard...
    i might have some free time around then. Pm me when you know you want to go scouting and I might be able to give you some pointers on areas or join you.

Send a PM to srupp. He whispers into the mind of animals and you will get yourself a damn fine moose.

Chris

Thanks guys! - Have pm'd WWBC and the moose whisperer

Will be up there Sept long for last chance to poke around before show time.

Quote Originally Posted by local.604 View Post
    Thanks guys! - Have pm'd WWBC and the moose whisperer

Will be up there Sept long for last chance to poke around before show time.
    Good for you! Put the prework in and you’ll have a better chance at connecting. Make sure you study up on field dressing and meat care. A moose is a big animal and some of the best bush meat you can get so make sure you treat it right!