Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting scope tripod? What are guys using

Re: Spotting scope tripod? What are guys using

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    Promaster..there is a fine line between lightweight and stable.
    X2 ... I have one that's a hair under 2lb but even the slightest breeze will make the spotter vibrate. I might actually just pack the 4lb one this year.

Could always use the "bog pod".
    With attachments, can be used for spotting scope, bino setup, and for what it is mainly intended, a shooting tripod.
    Comes in different height also.

I have an AmazonBasics carbon one - ~2lbs and ~$100.

I haven't had any heavy wind conditions when using it, so it's been stable so far. Have also mostly used it with binos. But, given my spotter of choice this year will be a Kowa 56mm, I think it will be fine for that, too.

I have a carbon Swaro. I’m undecided if I’m going to bother packing it up the mountains this year. It’s light, but awful big.

Vortex summit SS for my razor 65mm

mixed emotions, light weight and small, but like said above. Fine line between light weight and stable.
    Putting it to the test in 4 weeks on my caribou sheep goat hunt. By the end of those 11 days I will know if i will be buying a new one or not.

I have used light tripods for my Swaro (65mm) and the instability is frustrating. This year I didn't break the bank and bought a Vortex Pro GT that offers pretty amazing stability but weighs 4.6lbs and certainly doesn't pack small.
    Due to an injury last week I had to cancel my sheep hunt this week so I am admittedly trying to decide if I should return it now BUT if I had not been injured I would have kept it because it is pointless having good optics and a poor functioning tripod.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    I have an AmazonBasics carbon one - ~2lbs and ~$100.

I haven't had any heavy wind conditions when using it, so it's been stable so far. Have also mostly used it with binos. But, given my spotter of choice this year will be a Kowa 56mm, I think it will be fine for that, too.
    Funny I just ordered this one to try it out and see if it's any more stable than my other lightweight one. Figure easy enough to return it if it isnt.

Got any more info to share on it? Likes dislikes?

I dont plan on using it standing up so only needs to be stable at sitting height.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Funny I just ordered this one to try it out and see if it's any more stable than my other lightweight one. Figure easy enough to return it if it isnt.

Got any more info to share on it? Likes dislikes?

I dont plan on using it standing up so only needs to be stable at sitting height.

Looks very simalar to my gitzo traveller tripod but 10x cheaper. be interesting to hear a review.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenaykid85 View Post
    Looks very simalar to my gitzo traveller tripod but 10x cheaper. be interesting to hear a review.
    It's probably not the same quality but I expect it's probably good enough for the price.

The thing about these tripods now is that they have come a long way by basically copying the high end ones that were state of the art only a few years ago.

They're not quite the same quality .... but for a fraction of the price you should expect them to be either!

vortex summit ss