Thread: In Need Of A New Hunting Suit... Suggestions?

In Need Of A New Hunting Suit... Suggestions?

Title says it all
    looking for best jacket to pants combo having a hard time deciding on what to buy
    i am an island boy so i need to stay dry 80% of the time i am getting rained on out there but later in the season or if i go on a trip up north and i am facing winter conditions i don't want to freeze.

whats going to keep me warm and dry in those nasty weather conditions, i am looking to buy something that is going to last me some time if that means spending a little more dough for quality, no problem! ill always pay to be comfortable in the bush.

thanks in advance
    Uzi
    A link is only as long as your longest strong chain

2. Site Sponsor

Re: In Need Of A New Hunting Suit... Suggestions?

columbia wool......

Kuiu is having a sale right now. If you're ok to spend $1000 get a Yukon jacket and pants. Tough and waterproof.

Something like this?

Sounds like you need more then one suit

Gortex rules. Remember that.

It's all about layers, man.

Good rain gear as an outermost layer (like the Kuiu Yukon, First Lite SEAK, Sitka...Downpour, I think?...or just a good Arc'teryx Theta or something). If not a hunting brand, you can get some good deals at some online retailers that I won't name to avoid conflicts from sponsors.

A good puffy under that...you can go for something from Costco if on a budget or spend more...you can go synthetic fill in case it gets soaked or down for lightness and packability...both can be warm. Again, Arc'teryx Cerium or Atom...FL, Kuiu, etc. if you want camo.

Then...base layers...a nice merino layer over a merino or synthetic baselayer is a pretty sweet setup. If you have all four of those layers on, you'll probably keep pretty warm. And you can leave out what you don't need in warmer weather. And you can also get a much lighter set of raingear for an outer layer for earlier season stuff, if you want. But a merino and the really good raingear will keep you comfy down to around 10C, I find. Depends on you, of course. And how much you're moving. Maybe cooler or warmer by a few degrees.