Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor vehicle closures to protect grizzly bears

Re: Motor vehicle closures to protect grizzly bears

""The decision is a result of land-use planning collaboration between the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, Coast to Cascades Grizzly Bear Initiative and Lil’wat Nation, ||

The govt, the Lil'wat...and whom? Cascades Grizzly Bear Initiative??? Where are all the other stakeholders in this collaboration?

Wow....dang it....that is explosive!!

Where is the BCWF on this? Knock knock BCWF?! are you there?!

I think this right here is the real reason...
    And they are right, I was up there after meager creak hotsprings slid. The road was a zoo with the run of river project construction and all the citiots running to the keyhole falls hotsprings.

3.3.3 Current status of recreation in the planning area
    Public recreational activities in the planning area are substantially increasing as more people learn about opportunities to
    enjoy features such as trails, campsites and hot springs. These features are distributed throughout the District, and some
    are supported by a modest allocation of District resources through the Recreation Sites and Trails Branch (RSTB), who
    conduct routine maintenance and provide guidance and advice to resource management activities. Public can learn about
    recreation opportunities on the appropriate RSTB website, though other social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter,
    Instagram or other blogs and website often share this information to a much wider audience.
    Some of the challenges with meeting public expectations for recreation in the District includes recognising an urban
    demographic that is often identified as being inexperienced with appropriate camping and wilderness etiquette and safety
    practices. There have been many observations of recreationalists who do not appear to be educated to respect the many
    wilderness values, or who do not appear to respect the need to protect the natural resource environment, which is a
    potential threat to grizzly bear habitat and populations and a concern to the partners in this report. The main recreation
    features in the planning area include the Pebble Creek hot springs and associated trails including the Keyhole Falls trail
    and associated spectacular scenic values, which were closed in early 2017 due to conflicts with bears, and the Meager
    Creek hot springs, which is now permanently closed due to the 2010 landslide21.
    21 For more information please see Appendix II – Public Safety Information for the Upper Lillooet Watershed
    Motorized Access Management: Recommendations to Protect Grizzly Bears in the Upper Lillooet River Area
    RSTB has reported a significant number of issues in the area caused by some recreational users who have not practiced
    appropriate garbage and waste management, resulting in concerns about grizzly bears and black bears within camping
    areas and subsequently managed by closing the Pebble Creek hot springs trail. RSTB reports that there are currently no
    plans to re-open the Meager Creek hot springs recreation site, regardless of the improved access to the site, due to the
    concerns of risks and challenges to maintain public safety. Lil’wat Nation also has concerns with the potential for
    increased recreational use at Meager Hot springs, given the spiritual and cultural significance of this area. An adventure
    tourism tenure located in the Tenquille area utilizes horses as a key feature of their business. A motorized closure
    supporting grizzly bear foraging proposed in that watershed is considered compatible with their operation.
    In a 2016 memo from Innergex Renewable Energy Inc. (Innergex) to RSTB, information of public use collected on the
    Upper Lillooet FSR at the kilometer 37.5 checkpoint indicated a much greater number of recreational vehicles and
    campers than would normally be expected. For example, Easter weekend (March 25-28, 2016) observed 224 vehicles
    carrying 716 people, and the May long weekend (May 20-22, 2016) saw 350 vehicles carrying more than 700 people.
    Despite intensive management actions by Innergex and RSTB staff, including increased signage and garbage collecting,
    the hot springs and trail areas were inundated by people who disregarded appropriate waste and food management, and
    elevated the risk to wildlife and themselves: “Many posting on social media had indicated that there was an increase in
    bear sighting at the hot springs area. Bear attractants and mishandling of food at the camping area, along with the spike
    in use in the area, led to the bears becoming aggressive and charging people22”. RSTB and others are concerned that
    without sufficient access management, the Meager Creek area will experience similar challenges and that uncontrolled
    public motorized access is likely to result in public or bear mortality.

What a joke. Run of the river project is doing more damage to their habitat than a few people driving down the road.

Also pretty sketchy about that bands true intentions

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    I think this right here is the real reason...
    And they are right, I was up there after meager creak hotsprings slid. The road was a zoo with the run of river project construction and all the citiots running to the keyhole falls hotsprings.
    Remember they only want the roads closed during hunting season! This is aimed at hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Where is the BCWF on this? Knock knock BCWF?! are you there?!
    To hot for the BCWF. Remember they must stay away from any political argument, even when their membership is directly targeted. Just another reason they get no money from me. Only a member by default through my club, and would like to change that too!
    Tight groups Safe hunts

First nations motorized access would continue pursuant aboriginal rights to carriy out traditional activities. What an oxy moron!
    As a second nations person I am wondering why I have no special second nation privileges, hunting, fishing and gathering are in my culture as well, I identify with these traditions also. When has my peoples ever abstained from this that we have no say in the matter. After all being born a certain race or culture qualifies you to Have an affect and say on these things......Perhaps to be fair we should get moterized access 1/2 the time or maybe be able to drive in 1/2 the distance as the first special people? Maybe we can abide by half the rules too, maybe we can only be regulated 1/2 the time. Sad

The reality is that times have changed, the population has exploded, and we have advanced in technology. The system needs to change to keep it from collapsing. It is broken. We all need to be regulated and have the same set of rules. We are all suppose to be equal Canadain citizens.
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 07-20-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Equal Canadian citizens?
    Who's running the show.

Access for everyone BUT
    Last edited by Sirloin; 07-20-2018 at 08:13 AM.