Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 way radios

2 way radios

I'm shopping for some radios. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Preferably some that don't beep everytime they transmit or receive.

Thanks guys

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 way radios

My hunting partner just showed me last hunting season that you can turn the Motorola radios beeping off. I’m not sure why I didn’t just google it earlier... but I guess when you throw out the instructions the second you open the package you’re bound to miss things.

baofeng from ebay or wish

Just bought 2 baofeng off ebay,havent recieved then yet but will report on them.. ,suppose to be good out to 6-8 k 80.00 for the pair

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Baofeng from Amazon. Make sure to by ones with 5 or 7 Watts. If you are buying a truck mounted unit make sure it’s 25 watts

If you buy local then you can have them programmed with logging road frequencies as well.
    Its dangrous to be on logging roads without radio

Ive hunted on logging roads for years without radios on ATV's and never had a problem ,a little common sense rideing and your fine and most drivers are cool,once they know where your camping there always on the lookout for you
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Our group has used Icom VHF radios for years. They have been great, have long lasting rechargeable batteries and a range out to several kilometers unless you have a mountain in the way. Downside is the cost at $350 each, but if you are looking at many years of hunting ahead of you, it's the way to go if you can manage the expense. Just bought a pair of Motorola T600's for about $100 that my wife and I use on fishing trips (don't want to risk the VHF's going overboard). They seem very well made and will operate with AA's so no risk of a dead radio if you carry a couple of extra batteries with you. They come with rechargeable batteries, but they didn't seem to last very long. The AA's lasted much longer. Worked well on our annual June trip this year. They are waterproof and have a bit of a flashlight built in. Haven't tried them hunting, but I doubt they would have the range of a VHF; it would be interesting to try them out side by side to compare. The FRS units (like the Motorolas) are much better than they used to be. You can disable all the sounds on the T600's which obviously is an important feature for hunting.

We use waterproof Marine VHF radios.....any of those other walkie talkie radios are almost useless.

I use the icoms for work and they are awesome but a little bulky and heavy for backpack trips. I might have to try those cheap beofengs and see if they hold up. If not I'll have to pack the icoms