Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 way radios

Re: 2 way radios

What Kind of range do the beofengs get in the mountains.

Yep, use them all the time. Super useful when hunting with partner. Any Motorola or equivalent will do. But I found battery life can differ. I have older Cobra that are a little more weight but battery life is super long. Multi-day no problem. But those ones are more or less line of sight. Work great if you are hunting a hillside and buddy is glassing for you from across the valley. Used them last year on goat hunt on my 2 hour stalk. Couldn't have done without as I could not see the goats but buddy guided me from his spot to 165 yds.

Depends how much you want to spend!?
    I think previous posters to your thread have given you the info you need to make your choice.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Same as any UHF

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    They work a bit better than the decent frs models while in timber but for virtually the same price or cheaper you have way way more frequencys to choose from. No more listening in on other conversations and if you want you can sometimes find a repeater station. Yes your supposed to have an amateur license but this is the real world we live in. You can program the logging channels for safety, program the frs channels also. They are to me the best bang for the buck. If you hunt up top the range is really far and private which is nice.
    Hunting the promised land

Baofeng- cheap but they work

I have Motorola t600, i gps's the range last month in very light timber, at about 800m they had some crackle, by 1100m I could not make out a word. This was on one of the high power channels. I actually get better range in the city.

My cousin and I got 18 kms from outside of PG past the airport east side to the top of university hill on the west side. It sounded like we were parked right next to each other. I can plainly hear the airport tower and planes coming in from 15 km away.

Just know what you are doing when programming the cheap chinese radios (or any other radio for that matter)

Know what frequencies are "free" to use and in what areas.

Repeaters work by transmitting on one frequency and receiving on a second frequency. If you have chosen to stuff the first frequency in your radio, you will not hear if you are interfering on a repeater.

Picture a mine truck backing up to a pit, spotter behind on a radio getting ready to tell the driver to stop, then Bob and Larry looking for rabbits climb on the radio, tying up the repeater, with Larry calling to Bob, "keep coming toward me, You're good! keeeeep coming....."

True, an unlikely scenario, but a somewhat realistic one nonetheless....

The bubblepack radios and their frequencies are the only real frequencies that are "free" to use everywhere in the province.
    What about the VHF LAD frequencies? Some of them have area restrictions.
    Example: Lad 1 is not to be used in Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope, Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, south of 53*30'000" (south of Edmonton) and a 100Km radius of Bonnyville, AB

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Baofeng from Amazon. Make sure to by ones with 5 or 7 Watts. If you are buying a truck mounted unit make sure it’s 25 watts
    Bought a pair...dislike them. Not worth the money for the range in my opinion. Unless im totally missing something but ive been in contact with the seller on Amazon and had the settings all to their recommendations