Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 way radios

Re: 2 way radios

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Just know what you are doing when programming the cheap chinese radios (or any other radio for that matter)

Know what frequencies are "free" to use and in what areas.

Repeaters work by transmitting on one frequency and receiving on a second frequency. If you have chosen to stuff the first frequency in your radio, you will not hear if you are interfering on a repeater.

Picture a mine truck backing up to a pit, spotter behind on a radio getting ready to tell the driver to stop, then Bob and Larry looking for rabbits climb on the radio, tying up the repeater, with Larry calling to Bob, "keep coming toward me, You're good! keeeeep coming....."

True, an unlikely scenario, but a somewhat realistic one nonetheless....

The bubblepack radios and their frequencies are the only real frequencies that are "free" to use everywhere in the province.
    What about the VHF LAD frequencies? Some of them have area restrictions.
    Example: Lad 1 is not to be used in Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope, Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, south of 53*30'000" (south of Edmonton) and a 100Km radius of Bonnyville, AB
    That is not how a repeater is used as your example in a pit or on a logging landing, the repeaters are used to transmit literally world wide. A pit operation or a logging landing would not go through a repeater to conduct their business/operation there would be no need to. There is a programming software for these radios and any other uhf/vhf. Also if you go on line you can see all the channels listed as well as the repeaters.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-brown View Post
    Bought a pair...dislike them. Not worth the money for the range in my opinion. Unless im totally missing something but ive been in contact with the seller on Amazon and had the settings all to their recommendations
    I think many won't admit that they are buying and using the 7 or even 8 watt versions...
    Yes, Boafeng are cheap and do work, but you do get what you pay for.
    Hit and miss.

I bought a Baofeng GT-5TP radio about a month ago and which has 3 power outputs up to 8 watts ,also bought bigger antenna, this is just so I can Listen to the RR channels for logging trucks, now my biggest problem is how to program the darn thing. I have installed chirp programming system, bought programming cable , spent hours trying to program it and I still do not know if it is programmed, how to tell ? getting frustrated, also does anyone in Kelowna program these dam things.

John

Ha,i just bough 2 baofeng 5v radio's as well..look at youtube for programing video.s think i have mine figured out
    good luck

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer View Post
    I bought a Baofeng GT-5TP radio about a month ago and which has 3 power outputs up to 8 watts ,also bought bigger antenna, this is just so I can Listen to the RR channels for logging trucks, now my biggest problem is how to program the darn thing. I have installed chirp programming system, bought programming cable , spent hours trying to program it and I still do not know if it is programmed, how to tell ? getting frustrated, also does anyone in Kelowna program these dam things.

John
    Yup, YouTube it, shows how to do it from download to program to upload to radio, it's like an excel spread sheet and not many people like excel. A bit time consuming but once you get the hang of it still goes slow!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosecaller View Post
    Yup, YouTube it, shows how to do it from download to program to upload to radio, it's like an excel spread sheet and not many people like excel. A bit time consuming but once you get the hang of it still goes slow!!
    I understand that been there and have all spread sheets done also added all RR channels but do not hear them working , I hear nothing but a whole lot of SQ as I scan .

jOHN

Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer View Post
    I understand that been there and have all spread sheets done also added all RR channels but do not hear them working , I hear nothing but a whole lot of SQ as I scan .

jOHN
    You need to adjust your squelch and you would not hear anything if no one is transmitting, what do you mean you don't hear them working? What are you expecting from this radio? Go to the LADD channels highway channels, Ladd 1 is usually active, or the local airport tower channel and see if you can hear that. Again you need to be near an active logging road and go to that RR channel for that logging road to hear anything, I was just on a logging road tonight RR35 freq and I would not have heard a thing on the radio tonight as it's Saturday and they are not working, now if I went in there on Monday I would be sure to hear them.
    Last edited by moosecaller; 07-21-2018 at 08:06 PM.

I got 12 km in the Rockies with my baofeng uv82.
    That was down a river valley. Once I got around the next mountain I lost contact.
    Fleetwod Digital is a B.C. company that I’ve had good dealings with, would buy there again even ebay/Amazon were a couple dollars cheaper.

That is not how a repeater is used as your example in a pit or on a logging landing, the repeaters are used to transmit literally world wide. A pit operation or a logging landing would not go through a repeater to conduct their business/operation there would be no need to. There is a programming software for these radios and any other uhf/vhf. Also if you go on line you can see all the channels listed as well as the repeaters.
    Yes the mines use repeaters and so does the ministry when out of regular service.

Like I said in my post, An unlikely scenario....

Pick something else then, forest service during firefighting efforts, RCMP (how does digital and analog on the same frequency work?) ambulance service, trains, parks....

All I'm saying here is stuffing any old frequency willy nilly into those radios is really not advisable and can possibly be dangerous to others.

If repeaters can transmit world wide, then all the more reason to not hack and guess at the programming of the radios... Do some research and understand what frequencies can be used where, and what ones are available for use where you plan on operating them....