Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2 way radios

Re: 2 way radios

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Like I said in my post, An unlikely scenario....

Pick something else then, forest service during firefighting efforts, RCMP (how does digital and analog on the same frequency work?) ambulance service, trains, parks....

All I'm saying here is stuffing any old frequency willy nilly into those radios is really not advisable and can possibly be dangerous to others.

If repeaters can transmit world wide, then all the more reason to not hack and guess at the programming of the radios... Do some research and understand what frequencies can be used where, and what ones are available for use where you plan on operating them....
    Frequencies of all these services are available on line check them out before programming, do you own one of these radios? Have you done much research on how they work and no one ever said "hack" and it's not "guess" work the frequencies are there for all to see and avoid this potential "dangerous" situation. Digital does not work on these such as RCMP, firefighters, ambulance and so on. Do some research on this you may be able to understand a bit more than calling foul on those of us that want to use them. Please educate yourself before offering absurd scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    Yes the mines use repeaters and so does the ministry when out of regular service.
    Really for backing a pit truck up to the dump? I did not know that I thought it would be direct line of site for that operation! I actually didn't know that the pit trucks used ground controlled guides for dumping? Learn something new every day.
    But we do digress from the OP's question about these radios and have gone way off topic and sensible discussion. Reasonable radios for reasonable price for what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by moosecaller View Post
    Frequencies of all these services are available on line check them out before programming, do you own one of these radios? Have you done much research on how they work and no one ever said "hack" and it's not "guess" work the frequencies are there for all to see and avoid this potential "dangerous" situation. Digital does not work on these such as RCMP, firefighters, ambulance and so on. Do some research on this you may be able to understand a bit more than calling foul on those of us that want to use them. Please educate yourself before offering absurd scenarios.
    I don't think you and I are as far apart as you may think on this...

If you are calling for people to do their research, and I am calling for people to do their research before programming a frequency into a radio, then we agree!

It's just as absurd to bury your head in the sand and think there can't be consequences to not performing that research and understanding what frequencies are available and in what areas.

I don't have a problem with people wanting and using the radio's. I don't have a problem with people programming their own junk with the standard frequencies that are available, so long as they don't fall for the temptation to program any old frequency in an attempt to get that "private" channel.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    I don't think you and I are as far apart as you may think on this...

If you are calling for people to do their research, and I am calling for people to do their research before programming a frequency into a radio, then we agree!

It's just as absurd to bury your head in the sand and think there can't be consequences to not performing that research and understanding what frequencies are available and in what areas.

I don't have a problem with people wanting and using the radio's. I don't have a problem with people programming their own junk with the standard frequencies that are available, so long as they don't fall for the temptation to program any old frequency in an attempt to get that "private" channel.
    You can "google" radio frequency search to see if a channel is being used and where, this will tell you if you would be interfering with transmissions. If the channel for instant is being used by a delivery company in New York state and you live in say Grand Prairie you could not interfere using your 8 watt hand held unit or even a 30 watt mobile one. But if it was a taxi company in Beaver Lodge there may be a slim chance under ideal conditions. Doing the search is what I meant by doing your research, if you want a "private" channel why would you chance programming in a local used one and having whomever is using it interfere with you?

With the higher end radios I do believe you need a license such as the Ham radio users.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterguy View Post
    With the higher end radios I do believe you need a license such as the Ham radio users.
    nothing to do with higher end or lower end they transmit on uhf/vhf and need a license to be operated legally. The license is good for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by moosecaller View Post
    nothing to do with higher end or lower end they transmit on uhf/vhf and need a license to be operated legally. The license is good for 10 years.
    They work just fine without a license too.

The Amateur license is for life upon completion of the test.
    A commercial radio license is renewed on an annual basis with the only requirement to throw money at the federal government. Upon first license to provide the radio inspector some evidence that your radio apparatus is compliant with current specifications.
    (I just needed to provide the make and model and maybe the serial number)

As mentioned, nothing to do with the quality of the radios but everything to do with what frequency you are transmitting on.

144-148Mhz and 430-450Mhz are amateur radio bands. (plus others) Take the class, get a call sign, be licensed for life, fill your boots legally... Only problem is getting your buddies to get licensed... Oh, wait, one can't transmit on the commercial bands with an amateur license. One is also not permitted to use amateur radio equipment to transmit on commercial frequencies. (edit: err... legally...)

149-174Mhz would be considered the commercial band. The marine radio frequencies are sprinkled in there somewhere as well as some emergency services.
    136-144 would traditionally considered public safety (police, fire, ambulance)

edit: (again) Your local radio amateur radio club may put on courses to license new amateurs. I got my license through the Chilliwack Amature radio club. They provided the study material, instructor and the venue to be tested.
    They were targeting the local 4x4 boards looking for students. And yes, they did charge to put on the course.

An alternate source for searching for frequencies.
    http://tafl.mckie.ca/
    Last edited by westcoaster; 07-22-2018 at 05:07 PM.