Thread: Boletes anyone??

Boletes anyone??

Elk steak with sauteed wild bolete mushrooms. Sorry about the paper plate, but we were at the cabin...

Here's a nice selection!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Boletes anyone??

Nice! Dont know boletes well but I know there are dozens of kinds and some can make you sick. Those look good though, what kind were they?

What times dinner at?

love that, I picked some early chanterelles last week and they were good. Are these from northeastern BC. I go into the Cariboo in September but the Boletes never make it back to camp in good enough shape.

Looks like King Boletes, or 'Porcini' if you're a fancy man. Can't beat those fried up with a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter View Post
    Nice! Dont know boletes well but I know there are dozens of kinds and some can make you sick. Those look good though, what kind were they?
    I don't remember ever hearing of any toxic members of the boletus family ....are you sure about the "some can make you sick" comment?

NM I found this...and I have seen one of these before...it turns blue where the flesh is pinched...
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 07-19-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BromBones View Post
    Looks like King Boletes, or 'Porcini' if you're a fancy man. Can't beat those fried up with a good steak.
    Yes, they are known by many names - porcini, king boletes, Boletus edulis, cepes (French), white mushrooms (Russian) etc.
    Also common right now are the orange boletes or as we call them, "red heads". Not as choice as the "king", but still plenty tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    Yes, they are known by many names - porcini, king boletes, Boletus edulis, cepes (French), white mushrooms (Russian) etc.
    Also common right now are the orange boletes or as we call them, "red heads". Not as choice as the "king", but still plenty tasty!
    I pick the orange ones as well, I hear them often called birch boletes. Definitely good eating.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I don't remember ever hearing of any toxic members of the boletus family ....are you sure about the "some can make you sick" comment?

NM I found this...and I have seen one of these before...it turns blue where the flesh is pinched...
    Yeah I'm sure. Heard about the blue bruise = ok to eat thing too. Not sure if true on 100% of them. National Audubon society has a good field guide.

I pick Boletus in the fall usually and dehydrate them, they go well is spaghetti and soups. There's many a shroom that can do harm, not any Boletus that I've ever read about.

My Bible https://greystonebooks.com/products/...nt=17303997249
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!