Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 50 lbs ground moose - what to do?

Re: 50 lbs ground moose - what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by gunpower View Post
    Gunteck:
    Don't know where you have gotten all your moose , but myself and a few others that I know, have taken moose that taste the same way a swamp smells.
    I have also tasted moose that is the best tasting meat in the world. Also It all depends on the length of time the meat is hung for, 10 - 14 days does the trick .
    We always tried hanging for 10 to 14 days too.

We always shot a young moose, usually an immature one. No interest in the antlers... one of the last ones was just finishing the rut... his chest hairs were just about worn away... skinned and cooled quickly, hung for 11 days... tender and not gamey at all...

This is about the biggest we shot.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Why not just use it for tacos, spaghetti sauce etc...ground moose shouldn't be too gamey, the gamey taste comes from the silver skin/fat if it's not completely trimmed clean (for next time) Season it heavily or like I said use it for tacos and such that are heavily flavored. Burgers too you can mix it with beef etc...

I'm getting 75 lbs of sausages made up, 3 different kinds. I'm going to be popular at BBQ's the rest of the summer.

I do all my own butchering and make all my own sausage, one of my tricks is to add 40% pork shoulder in the hamburger and sausage meat, butcher shops tend to use pork trim cause it's a lot cheaper.