Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 50 lbs ground moose - what to do?

Re: 50 lbs ground moose - what to do?

Great tasting steak and chops but gamey burger just doesn't compute. Agree with other posters, get rid of the burger, shed a tear and move on. No sense eating it if you don't like it. Get yourself a grinder and process your own meat in the future. Pretty simple to do. Might try grinding up a bit of your good stuff and see how it is. If it is good then you know the problem was at the butcher shop. Try doing it with and without pork fat and see which way you like it best. Without is the healthiest and great for chili etc. but will make a fairly dry burger.

same story for me after getting pepperoni done I could tell some were from a rutting buck when I brought in an LEH doe...no more butcher for me after that

Last edited by ForealBoreal; 01-02-2022 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Find a guy to make sausage etc then give him 20lb (usually minimum) and see if you like it, if you do, go back!!
    what he said, smokies and pepperoni are my fav.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbow View Post
    Could be that you got a mixture of someone else’s gamey burger? Had it happen to me with a heavy muley buck that I shot early October. Steaks and roasts were great but the burger was so bad I had to feed all to the dog. Stunk so bad when cooking it, had that rut smell to it.

I later found out from a seasonal meat cutter that all burger comes from the mystery pile of everyone’s game at the day of cutting. Deer one day and moose the other.
    That happens for sure but with muley it is also important to make sure there is no fat on any of the trim if doing burger. The fat is what carries the strong taste I find. When game cutters are busy they are less likely to take the time you or I would trimming all the fat of the trimmings. That muley fat can be awefully strong. I usually don’t bother with ground from mule deer......only prime cuts/roasts. The rest all goes into roni later and I cut it with ham butt at 25-30% instead of using fat....leaner that way.

All my ground for burger comes from moose/elk and I never cut it with pork fat....I use quality beef fat only at about 5%. I also freeze extra bags of the trimmings in 10lb bags (unground) to make pepperoni or sausage later when sausage makers are not so busy. Usually need 25-30lbs for a batch.
    Last edited by northof49; 07-22-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    That happens for sure but with muley it is also important to make sure there is no fat on any of the trim if doing burger. The fat is what carries the strong taste I find. When game cutters are busy they are less likely to take the time you or I would trimming all the fat of the trimmings. That muley fat can be awefully strong. I usually don’t bother with ground from mule deer......only prime cuts/roasts. The rest all goes into roni later and I cut it with ham butt at 25-30% instead of using fat....leaner that way.

All my ground for burger comes from moose/elk and I never cut it with pork fat....I use quality beef fat only at about 5%. I also freeze extra bags of the trimmings in 10lb bags (unground) to make pepperoni or sausage later when sausage makers are not so busy. Usually need 25-30lbs for a batch.
    I given up of ground meat from mule deer and use moose and elk as well. I make my own sausage but use the fattest pork cuts I can find and blend the whole cut with lean wild game at about 10%.

This is a first for me....seeing a bunch of hunters complaining that their wild game tastes gamey...Thats the reason our family enjoys hunting.
    Hamburger is made into hamburgers and sausage. We use straight ground deer in spaghetti and the kids have yet to complain .The hamburgers turn out great. You can add lots of garlic and onions to take the edge off if its bad. We have gotten so used to eating wild game that the odd time we have a roast or steak from the store we prefer the wild game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisgrohms View Post
    This is a first for me....seeing a bunch of hunters complaining that their wild game tastes gamey...Thats the reason our family enjoys hunting.
    Hamburger is made into hamburgers and sausage. We use straight ground deer in spaghetti and the kids have yet to complain .The hamburgers turn out great. You can add lots of garlic and onions to take the edge off if its bad. We have gotten so used to eating wild game that the odd time we have a roast or steak from the store we prefer the wild game.
    Well there's gamey and then there's gamey. Lol. . Eat a rare steak off a rutting caribou bull with green slime running down his legs and compare that to a October blacktail backstrap.

I get it. But why even pull the trigger?

Well now that I know, I wouldn't take a rutting caribou again. Some animals are gamey even outside the rut. We shot two moose of the same lake in one day and one was only good for sausages, the other was the finest meat I've ever eaten. Sometimes you just don't know.