Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 lbs ground moose - what to do?

Re: 50 lbs ground moose - what to do?

I'd probably try experimenting with spices at home, can do it 1lb at a time till you find something that suits your taste, I make spicy moose tacos or burgers almost weakly with piles of spices like peri or ceyanne
    if not into hot just work your way through herbs,garlic,sauces,soups,pastas etc

Berryman`s is reputed to be very good and does game meat.

Check this shop out. It's on Oak Bay ave. I go there every time I'm in Victoria. http://www.thewholebeast.ca
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Not my recipe, but one I found online and make all the time with gamey meat.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=202935

As much as you don't want to waste meat, I would recommend that you not force yourself to eat it. If you have a family that is turned off by the taste or the smell when it cooks, you may must find yourself fighting a battle for the rest of your life to keep them supportive of your love of hunting. "You're not going to shoot another stinky moose are you". "You're not going to bring another rotten moose into my house". etc. You know that it's just moosy tasting from the rut or from bad butchering but it doesn't matter if it is good healthy meat if it doesn't taste good.
    But, there are people who like a stronger taste in their animals. Consider giving your meat to someone who will appreciate it, or who is going through a financial dry spell and would appreciate any food that would help with their bottom line.
    Or if you are really stuck - enter a chilly cook off contest and put in enough spices to kill a moose. lol

I find the best way to use 'gamey' burger (or stew meat) is to cook it up into a stew & can it, if you have a pressure canner. Go heavy on the onions & garlic, and lots of spices. Will hide most strong game flavors & last a very long time.

Jerky and pepperoni works too but I can only eat so much of it.

give glenwood a call

Don't know what you are doing to get such gamey moose... haven't had a bad one in many years.

Quite possible you will not find anyone willing to re process ground meat... I always had my 'extra' meat frozen in chunks because of that... Ground meat once ground, packaged and frozen is not the safest if thawed and reprocessed. The processors I have used in the past don't recommend it and would not do it.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Jerky man!! Do you have a grinder? Maybe grind up some jalapeno and onion and mix it with the burger before putting it thru the jerky gun, it worked for me quite well. I know what you mean about the burger having a flavour to it, my next batch I might add some ground pork to it as well...and oh, garlic powder is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    Don't know what you are doing to get such gamey moose... haven't had a bad one in many years.

Quite possible you will not find anyone willing to re process ground meat... I always had my 'extra' meat frozen in chunks because of that... Ground meat once ground, packaged and frozen is not the safest if thawed and reprocessed. The processors I have used in the past don't recommend it and would not do it.
    The moose are never gamey. Like I said, the steaks, roasts, ribs and chops are delicious. I guess the cutter throws lots of fat and trim into the grinder and the strong taste is amplified in the ground only.