Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 50 lbs ground moose - what to do?

Re: 50 lbs ground moose - what to do?

Mix it with rice & carrots, cook it up and feed it to your dog he'll love ya for it!

when the ol lady started tasting gamey I tried every trick

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    The moose are never gamey. Like I said, the steaks, roasts, ribs and chops are delicious. I guess the cutter throws lots of fat and trim into the grinder and the strong taste is amplified in the ground only.
    Could be that you got a mixture of someone else’s gamey burger? Had it happen to me with a heavy muley buck that I shot early October. Steaks and roasts were great but the burger was so bad I had to feed all to the dog. Stunk so bad when cooking it, had that rut smell to it.

I later found out from a seasonal meat cutter that all burger comes from the mystery pile of everyone’s game at the day of cutting. Deer one day and moose the other.

If I was in your shoes I would take get a variety of different sausage and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbow View Post
    Could be that you got a mixture of someone else’s gamey burger? Had it happen to me with a heavy muley buck that I shot early October. Steaks and roasts were great but the burger was so bad I had to feed all to the dog. Stunk so bad when cooking it, had that rut smell to it.

I later found out from a seasonal meat cutter that all burger comes from the mystery pile of everyone’s game at the day of cutting. Deer one day and moose the other.

If I was in your shoes I would take get a variety of different sausage and enjoy.

This where having a grinder pays off. I always get my trim in 10lb bags and grind all my own meat for burger or sausage made at home.

chop an onion add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a pack on onion soup mix. do meatballs or burgers with this perfect recipe to kill gamey flavour pepper the eff out of it

Quote Originally Posted by Timbow View Post

i think you are absolutely right about that. The two moose we got were not rutting, still in velvet, killed ocleanly, field dressed impeccably, and kept incredibly clean. Every random hair or piece of grass picked off, scraped and wiped with vinegar before being bagged and hung.

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    This where having a grinder pays off. I always get my trim in 10lb bags and grind all my own meat for burger or sausage made at home.
    Next time, no burger, stew meat only.

Gunteck:
    Don't know where you have gotten all your moose , but myself and a few others that I know, have taken moose that taste the same way a swamp smells.
    I have also tasted moose that is the best tasting meat in the world. Also It all depends on the length of time the meat is hung for, 10 - 14 days does the trick .

Getting a pile of someone else's stinky rut moose is why I butcher my own. This isn't the first time I have heard of this happening. Wow. You can't get enough garlic in a sausage to make rut moose edible.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

For what you will spend on a butcher you could buy a piece of equipment to make your own meat treats. Grinder/sausage maker or a dehydrator. Great jerky out of a dehydrator with ground meat. My kids will eat unreal amounts of it