Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: halibut and cod fishing options up in Prince Rupert area?

halibut and cod fishing options up in Prince Rupert area?

I'm not a fisherman in any sense...haven't cast a rod in about 30 years, but now that I'm up in Rupert, I'd like to know how if there is any easy access to fresh halibut and cod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    eeeewwwww!! Factory ammo...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: halibut and cod fishing options up in Prince Rupert area?

Dolly's is about as easy as it gets. Always guarentee fish too

This is the puzzling dilemma of BC coastal towns. Unless you have your own boat and gear it can sometimes be impossible to access fresh seafood. I don't know if there is any other marketer besides Dolly's in Prince Rupert.

Millions of fish get landed in Rupert and Port Hardy as well. And in Port Hardy, if you go to the restaurant for prawns you get imported thawed prawns from Thailand or god knows where. The draggers come in and deliver thousands of pounds of rockfish nearly every day, the halibut boats unload at various facilities too, and you can't buy a fresh fish.

The system is set up to unload and ship out. Yes, the local populations are quite small, serious locals do have their own boats and the fact that most fish has to be shipped out to the US market is understandable, but even in high tourist season when people come from all over the world and particularly Europe you'd think some kind of mechanism could be put in place to add fresh fish as an attraction. Supernatural BC indeed.

I have seen many shocked and disappointed Fritz and Irmgards from Germany in their Cruisecanada vans when they have asked where to sample fresh local seafood in a fishing port on the ocean and are told it is unavailable.

Happened to me too. I was living in Sointula when my German father in law came to Canada on his one and only visit before he died. I was not working in the industry that year, couldn't get on a boat. Sointula was a vibrant successful fishing town at the time. It was rumoured to have the highest income per capita per postal code in the country at one time. I wasn't included in that demographic.

Anyway, I couldn't find a salmon for my father in law to sample so I went to the local fish plant. He couldn't sell me anything as it was all weighed, tallied and accounted for and destined to be shipped to Vancouver so he (an American by the way) sold me a sport-caught fish a relative of his had caught.
    Last edited by MichelD; 07-18-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Give my buddy Rodney at foggy point charters a call he will get you out and into some fish.....
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Also check Rupert meats in Cow bay
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

go on the charter....
    or weight at the dock with a wad of cash lol

to get on a charter that is.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    go on the charter....
    or weight at the dock with a wad of cash lol
    any suggestions for which dock to go to...perhaps a time of day to show up also?

I should have commented that I know about Dolly's, but their prices seem to be a bit out of line. I know of Rupert Meat's as well, but never saw any fish, but will have to ask next time I'm in there.

I've always wanted to try my hand at fishing halibut and cod...so I'l probably give your buddy Rodney a shout!

thanks for the suggestions. and if there are more, please keep them coming...like which dock to visit with cash in hand.

i do not know name of docks...only been to rupert once and was drunk as shit caught a lot of fish and puked my guts out...dont remember name of docks but i would go meet charter operators they will be cheaper on filler days..
    i didnt pay when i went as i was with freinds that where freinds... the fishing was quick and the food was great.