Thread: WSSBC - Bull River Slashing Project (Volunteers Needed)

Thumbs up WSSBC - Bull River Slashing Project (Volunteers Needed)

Hey All,

Posting this for anyone who may not be a WSSBC member but wants to get involved in the Kootenays. If anyone needs any more information on this please ask. Send it to anyone you know that may be available for the weekend in August or invite some friends to meet up for it and help out.

I'll be at the Jurassic Classic Fundraiser during the same weekend, so its going to be a great weekend for sheep conservation in the province!!

As well, if you're not a member of the WSSBC, lets get you signed up!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/EkeVXMg.jpg

From the WSSBC:

We are seeking people interested in volunteering to assist with a Region 4 Bighorn sheep winter habitat enhancement project in the Cranbrook area. The objectives are to improve line of sight to assist with predator avoidance and to increase connectivity and sheep distribution in wintering areas.

We have planned a work day for Aug 18th that will involve slashing/ brushing the understory with chainsaws/ brush saws as well as piling the debris. If people are available there may be additional work on Sunday. If you are interested in assisting email Ryan Seibel (ryan.seibel@canada.ca) or Brad Siemens (abcmens@telus.net). In your message please indicate if you have a chainsaw or brush saw you are able to bring; we are aiming for 1 saw operator and 2 pilers per crew.

We require a list of people who are interested in attending as soon as possible in order to set up our liability coverage.

There is free camping in close vicinity to the project area, which is where we will be hosting a BBQ at the end of the day for all volunteers. Further details regarding the camping and project location will be provided once we have a list of people who confirm their commitment to attend.

This initiative is led by MFLNRO to address declining habitat in prime sheep winter range. The project area was identified by wildlife biologists as a priority to support wildlife, and is being delivered by habitat biologists. This is an amazing opportunity to help our Bighorn populations while WSSBC assists regional biologists, hopefully alongside members from a variety fish and game organizations that all share a common passion for wild sheep.

It is our hope that this is just the start of many great things to come in the future
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 07-17-2018 at 06:00 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: WSSBC - Bull River Slashing Project (Volunteers Needed)

Bump for some great work!

I can't personally make it, but I wish all the best on this project.

rackmastr,

looks like are community is too busy fighting then too jump on this....

do you have enough people confirmed?

difficult weekend to plan it for as just before season and hot as hell.
    that said do you have enough bodies...if not i can round up some crews. we need more leadership like this and need to put more energy into initives like this...

i have been talking to region 3 bio and would like to start a more active volunteer role...

in addition i have active first aid...

what kind of brush as i thought young tree are good winter feed?

bump this for recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    rackmastr,

looks like are community is too busy fighting then too jump on this....

do you have enough people confirmed?

difficult weekend to plan it for as just before season and hot as hell.
    that said do you have enough bodies...if not i can round up some crews. we need more leadership like this and need to put more energy into initives like this...

i have been talking to region 3 bio and would like to start a more active volunteer role...

in addition i have active first aid...

Hey, ya a guy can find an argument a heck of a lot easier than conversation over positive work! Not surprising....

Shoot Ryan an email with the questions as I'm just posting it to gain awareness. With me being tied up at the Jurassic Classic that weekend I don't know a lot of the details and they are the ones to check with.

Thanks man! Hopefully get a good crew out there and get the work done efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Sounds like this project is like others in the past, where travel corridors are identified as trouble spots so veg reduction is the answer for safety

Anyone else from the Okanagan ? Will carpool..........err rideshare is current term?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Just put in a request for time off. If approved I will help if needed ! Will be commuting from Kamloops.

Hey this project was postponed due to the fire hazard. It is happening this Sat Sept 29. We could use a few more bodies if anyone is available. Camping at horseshoe lake with a BBQ after the work day. PM for more information or check out WSSBC on Facebook.
    KCCO