Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spatsizi - LEH August 2018

Question Spatsizi - LEH August 2018

Hello,

got a Mountain Goat tag and a LEH one for Sheep for Spatsizi this August. Wonder if anybody did the hunt there and could share some experience in regard to:

- how to best access via car and foot the Klappan Railgrade or McEwan Trail
    - would you be able to take an inflatable kayak/boat to travel on the Klappan towards the Eaglnest?
    - Best area to find mature goat and sheeps, ie. do you need to go East only for goats - Dawson Area?
    - Fishing experience, is there a Salmon run?
    - nighttime temperatures in August?
    - anything else good to know about that area? e.g. should we expect a First Nations blockade of the Ealue Road again?

Looking forward to some valuable insights!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spatsizi - LEH August 2018

You have a mountain goat tag when the draws haven't even been run yet?
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

My understanding it’s a fly in hunt from those I know who have had the sheep draw

Crap...I forgot that the sheep draw there runs early.... I missed out I flew in to that area last year. august 17 or 18 we caught snow. maybe -4 at night at 6000 ft

Hi,

You got a goat tag? Spatsizi is entirely LEH and not sure that the draws have even come out yet. So if you have a regular season goat tag, it isn't valid for Spatsizi.

You can access the grade/McEwan Trail via Ealue Lake Road, long hike in on the McEwan trail though. Using a Kayak or Boat to travel upriver to Eaglenest would be quite a trip and it is a long way from the Klappan Bridge (23km or so). No salmon that far up. From what I recall the trout fishing was fairly good at the lakes. Night time temps can vary, but even if its in the high 20's during the day it gets cold at night, as Rotorwash said, -4 is not uncommon

Fly in is the best. Alpine Lakes Air

Quote Originally Posted by tthiele View Post
    Hello,

got a Mountain Goat tag and a LEH one for Sheep for Spatsizi this August. Wonder if anybody did the hunt there and could share some experience in regard to:
    - would you be able to take an inflatable kayak/boat to travel on the Klappan towards the Eaglnest?
    - Best area to find mature goat and sheeps, ie. do you need to go East only for goats - Dawson Area?
    - anything else good to know about that area? e.g. should we expect a First Nations blockade of the Ealue Road again?

Using the HBC search function for "spatsizi" turns up no less than 317 threads, many that cover info you're looking for. A good place to start. Good luck.

SB

Quote Originally Posted by tthiele View Post
    Hello,

If you search those 317 threads, you'' find that about 90% of the guys drawn did not even go.

Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
    Hi,

You got a goat tag? Spatsizi is entirely LEH and not sure that the draws have even come out yet. So if you have a regular season goat tag, it isn't valid for Spatsizi.

You can access the grade/McEwan Trail via Ealue Lake Road, long hike in on the McEwan trail though. Using a Kayak or Boat to travel upriver to Eaglenest would be quite a trip and it is a long way from the Klappan Bridge (23km or so). No salmon that far up. From what I recall the trout fishing was fairly good at the lakes. Night time temps can vary, but even if its in the high 20's during the day it gets cold at night, as Rotorwash said, -4 is not uncommon

Fly in is the best. Alpine Lakes Air
    Spatsizi park is not entirely LEH for mountain Goat.

Thats true....forgot about the Dawson area!

Yes, I got a normal mountain goat tag for the Dawson Area, see Synopsis page 69. Map F26 ....The Dawson area (shaded) is general open season for
    Mountain Goat (situated in MU 6-19, 6-20).

Thanks for the feedback...probably will try my luck and drive up the Klappan Road and then hike 3-4 days until Cold Fish Lake to set a base camp. From there, mountain goat should be possible to hunt in the Dawson area and sheep..., well maybe around the Eagles-nest?

Anybody else heading up there this summer/fall?