Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Boots

Best Boots

Looking for recommendations for good reliable hunting boots for October Elk hunt. I have a pair of Salomon GTX 4D. Will these be okay during last two weeks of October season. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Boots

"Best" boots simply do not exist and FIT is paramount and then the suitability for your specific use(s).

I just pitched two pairs of mountain boots, one from 1976 and my custom Russell Boot Company from 1989. The first were German Meindl Geologist boots, designed here in Vancouver and they were BEAT, 3 sets soles and much repairing. The Russells, very costly and famous, were crap from the get go.....

I now have and wear Scarpa Fuego, Hanwag Yukons, Galibiers, Kastingers from 1982, still sound, Scarpa Concordias, among the best boots of my 57 years wearing highend boots and Schnees Paks. I will say that among the best brands in terms of quality, there is VERY little difference and FIT is the only real determinant for purchase.

Try as many pairs of heavy hikers-backpacking boots on that you can and I avoid GT boots based on experience. Use Obenauf's LP waterproofing wax and avoid the silicon-containing goops such as "Snowseal".

An all leather, medium boot costing about $400.00 plus taxes, fitted correctly, is what you need and these can last many years if properly looked after.

Mendel Canada pro
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Hanwags here. But I agree above. Spend some good money on a boot and the top companies come down to what fits you best. Scarpa, Hanwag, Meindl and many more.

Great advice above. Can’t go wrong with the top brands. I had to go through a couple to find one that didn’t hurt my feet (expensive journey). Scarpa works for my feet. Meindls might work for yours. I really love meindl boots but had to sell mine they caused my feet great pain.

Good of luck on your journey

Meindls didnt last in the mountains for me, Hanwags hurt my feet. Lowa Tibet in wide were the ticket for me. Will be buying another pair in the next few months. In my opinion swapping out the insoles is a must regardless, I like the carbon superfeet.
    KCCO

Surprised Crispi didn't come up.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Lowas for me for the past dozen or more years. Really comes down to a lot of personal preference though!

Any place in the Lower Mainland carry Lowas?

Have loved my Zamberlans so far for the 2 months I've had them....