Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Boots

Re: Best Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Hey Guys I have been trying to order a new Pair of Size 14 mountain boots currently own a pair of Hanwag Alaskans but unfortunately got them a little to close to the fire last year and shrunk to the toe. First pick was Lowe GTX but cant find any in Canada in my size and the states wont ship. Have been looking at Meindl but same cannot find. Let me know if you guys know a place that might carry any.

Thanks
    Aj brooks closed down but Poul the owner now consults at Alpine Start Outfitters on Broadway st carries Lowa and Meindl. Across the street you can find Hanwag but ever since that swedish company bought them the quality went down...

If you wet the boots again you can stretch them out, it will take awhile but you can stuff them with several pairs of socks. Or take them to a professional to get them fixed. Alpine can also make those recommendations on who to go to. They might even do it for you in store if you're buying a new pair of boots.
    Last edited by jennylyyy; 07-17-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    I share the stories of individuals who hunt, gather & protect our wild lands @chasingfoodclub @backcountryhuntersbc

I'm about to put on waders on go knees deep on this topic because it was something I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to understand. Including many backpacking trips suffering. I want to encourage others to keep on trying to find the right boot because they exist. If you have the correct boot, there shouldn't have a break in period!

A basic guide for a 3 season boot:
    - A leather boot, one complete (seamless) piece if possible, even the tongue (no fabric or mesh pieces)

- A rubber bumper all around the shoe, not just the toe cap area.

- Even support sole (the heel isn't elevated), to prevent heel striking.
    Important if you plan on packing out heavy loads. Heel striking will cause pain in your ankles, knees, and hips.

- Locking laces, so you can tighten certain areas tighter and wider areas of your foot looser

- higher than ankle (not for ankle support but more so for crossing puddles and mud). Ankle support isn't actually from the height of the boot but the base where your heel is. Good quality boots should have a solid heel cup supporting your foot, that shouldn't soften over time.

- Gortex liner, this is debatable, many will say you overheat and it will leak anyways. This is true but it's because you're not treating your boot properly before, during and after the field with beeswax. Or sleeping with the insoles out for the GT to properly dry out. Also, GT needs to be cleaned for it to work properly (just like a GT jacket). After a dirty hunt, you need to rise the inside of your boot out with soapy water and let it dry out completely before waxing them again. Also, wear a good pair of socks to keep things well ventilated.

- Lastly, try to get something that can be resoled. Western hunting beats the crap out of your shoes but the leather will stay good if you're cleaning and waxing them regularly. You should be waxing when you see the water not beading off your shoe (easier said than done)

Avoid
    - leather lined boots - this makes it heavier, eventually leather clogs up from salt from your sweat, and lastly the break-in period is insanely painful and blisters filled.

That being said at the end of the day if the boot fits and you're comfortable and it hits none of this guidelness, that's totally ok - comfort first! There are always acceptions.

If anyone has specific questions on how to buy boots online or can't decide between a boot let me know! I'll see if I tried them on before or studied them.
    Last edited by jennylyyy; 07-17-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    I share the stories of individuals who hunt, gather & protect our wild lands @chasingfoodclub @backcountryhuntersbc

I won't buy serious boots unless they are leather lined and I wear hiking boots every day as I have for years due to orthopaedic issues.

I have posted on correct boot care here before and a search may turn up that information.

Irish Setter Elk trackers 1000gram, Best boots i have ever owned, very comfortable can hike all day in them, warm in any cold weather feet havnt gotten cold yet, oil up the leather every year and they are water tight had the same pair for 8 years hunted hard with these boots and they never let me down
    A link is only as long as your longest strong chain

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Meindls didnt last in the mountains for me, Hanwags hurt my feet. Lowa Tibet in wide were the ticket for me. Will be buying another pair in the next few months. In my opinion swapping out the insoles is a must regardless, I like the carbon superfeet.

Meindls from Cabelas are not the real deal for Meindls. They were designed and built to fit into a cheaper boot market and thus they are not as tough as the actual Meindls.

I have 3 full seasons of sheep hunting, goat hunting and many many miles of other mountain hunts on mine and they are still rock solid. They are the Makalu Pro 3000.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Meindls from Cabelas are not the real deal for Meindls. They were designed and built to fit into a cheaper boot market and thus they are not as tough as the actual Meindls.

I have 3 full seasons of sheep hunting, goat hunting and many many miles of other mountain hunts on mine and they are still rock solid. They are the Makalu Pro 3000.
    Agree, cabellas lasted about 40 days , compared to over 200 on the good ones

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post

This is correct .... but it's also why they worked so well for me. I tried the "real" meindl boots from AJs once and honestly ... f**k that!

Those things were were like concrete. Honestly felt like a ski boot with the liner removed. There is no way in hell I could walk in a boot that you cant even bend.

The cabelas ones are definitely cheaper construction and cheaper materials and the soles aren't Vibram and they cant be replaced ..... but the boot requires zero break in and is extremely comfortable. It's a fine choice for most of the hunting terrain you are likely to encounter except for the rocks above the tree line.

Quote Originally Posted by lwing View Post
    Agree, cabellas lasted about 40 days , compared to over 200 on the good ones
    I have a pair that has well over 200 days on them and they're still fine. They're retired, though.

40 days? That's BS. Unless you're a professional tree planter or logger or something?

I dont see only 40 days out of them from hunting

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I have a pair that has well over 200 days on them and they're still fine. They're retired, though.

40 days? That's BS. Unless you're a professional tree planter or logger or something?

I dont see only 40 days out of them from hunting
    My last pair of Cabella's Meindels lasted about the same 30-40 days then fell apart had to walk out with no sole one the one boot .
    M
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

I wear Meindl Island's, they're about $600 CAD but worth every penny. No break-in period. I've tried on other Meindls and they felt horrible on my foot. It's all about finding the right fit.
    Last edited by jennylyyy; 07-19-2018 at 06:33 PM.