Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any pack horse hunter here

Re: Any pack horse hunter here

Quote Originally Posted by Clint_S View Post
    Just not with the goats right? Cuz that's illegal.

Or the lamas.......

I grew up with horses and my grandfather who raised me rode a horse with pack horses across Canada. I know exactly what I'm in for. A hell of an adventure that my atv or jet boat can't match haha. In my opinion anyways.

Thanks guys.
    I am definitely getting three. One Canadian for my main mount and two mules. A Canadian because they are true footed horse and there's family history/story there. The work I'm not worried about I know with horses nothing usually goes as planned. The cost. Well I'll get just as much pleasure from them in the off-season as I will during hunting season. For me it's more about the adventure then it is about having an upper hand with hunting
    And there's something to say about riding a good horse into unfamiliar country with a rifle and a pocket full of tags.
    If you fill a tag well that's great if not will the memories are just as good in my eyes to.

You will not go wrong with a Canadian, Had a mare that could outwork and pull any horse her own weight. Little horse of iron.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

I am in Prince George and my Dad is in Quesnel. We hunt with pack horses every year. PM me if you want to get together and discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by 13thplumber View Post
    Hey guys. I'm slowly transitioning to pack horse hunting. Having a huge passion for hunting and horses it makes sense to combine the two.
    Question is is there any pack horse guys here who would be interested in a hunt in the future.
    Everybody I hunt with have no interest in horses.
    Thanks
    Hunting and horses are two of my greatest passions as well. I have had horses for over 4 years now, with the intention of using them for hunting. I currently have 3. They're going to start paying for themselves soon. I'll be getting a trailer in the spring, then will be actively getting them ready for fall. When do you expect to be set up?
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

i was just joking i wouldnt use any of the bunch of missfits...
    i too plan on getting some pack horses but i have a large learning curve before i would be ready to leave my valley with them...
    that said i can hunt alpine from my door on foot so i could get some nice practice in before i headed into the deep... muskwa keichika region on horses would highlight how great are province is...you could spend a lifetime exploring....that said it would be a lot cheaper to just hire a packer...

It is definitely worthwhile the effort of horse hunting. but maybe spend the cash if have it and take a trip with a packer, it is pricey but the info learned is invaluable.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

my wife used to raise and breed packhorses with her grandpa who owned the territory out of atlin..so she will be incharge...but owning any animal is a big commitment.

I’m in north van. Hunted with packhorses for over 35 years. Familiar with a lot of the backcountry. Gone on plenty of sheep hunts with just my riding horse and a packhorse and other times up to 6 horses. Sold most of my gear last year but still have a Erickson mountain saddle. Having horses opens up so many more areas to hunt