Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for like-minded hunting partner!

Looking for like-minded hunting partner!

Hey all,

I am new to this forum so I hope that this is in the correct place. I have hunted when I was a kid and then had a break for a number of years. I am just getting back into it now with the main intention of hunting for food. I've put a lot of time in this year on my bow (ideally that is how I will be doing most hunting) but I also have rifle and shotgun.

I'm a very experienced backpacker and have my level 3 Occupational First Aid certification. I have taken a class on butchering this year as well as a course specifically for preparing to hunt in the alpine. I'm pretty serious about doing it right.

I've been scouting areas for deer up the mamquam road lately in squamish, mostly for deer but have mainly been seeing bears.

I've been a bit frustrated with google maps and the FrontDesk BC layers for determining what is crown land, where you can hunt and not. I've seen a lot of other people express the same frustration online and was wondering if anyone here had similar experiences.

All in all, I am hoping to get in touch with someone who shares my enthusiasm for hunting, the bushcraft and see what we can learn from each other.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for like-minded hunting partner!

Where do you live and what kind of hunting do you want to do?

I live in east van and I’m looking to go for deer, (maybe bear) and birds this year. I’d like to do a fair bit of bow hunting but I’m also down for long gun. I like the idea of hike in camping.

Start dropping those bears, some of the best meat IMO. And it will help out those deer your looking for. I wish you the best in your search.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Matt,

When I first started I hunted a fair bit around Squamish. Blacktails are hard for a self-taught hunter, especially a bow hunter. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it is a lot harder than driving a bit further where you'll see a lot more deer. Region 8 and Region 5 aren't that far away.

Lots of bears around here though, I'd definitely plan to fill a bear tag around Squamish.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

with a bow hike behind the gravel pit from lower mamquam...dont go so high.

thanks for all the great feedback!

does anyone have a good reference for finding exactly where crown land is? i've tried using google maps, front desk bc and imaps, but they seem to have some conflicting information/hard to figure out.

Yep, start putting a couple bears in the freezer and then start chasing blacktails. Sounds like a good combo

Quote Originally Posted by swing View Post
    Hey all,

I am new to this forum so I hope that this is in the correct place. I have hunted when I was a kid and then had a break for a number of years. I am just getting back into it now with the main intention of hunting for food. I've put a lot of time in this year on my bow (ideally that is how I will be doing most hunting) but I also have rifle and shotgun.

I'm a very experienced backpacker and have my level 3 Occupational First Aid certification. I have taken a class on butchering this year as well as a course specifically for preparing to hunt in the alpine. I'm pretty serious about doing it right.

I've been scouting areas for deer up the mamquam road lately in squamish, mostly for deer but have mainly been seeing bears.

I've been a bit frustrated with google maps and the FrontDesk BC layers for determining what is crown land, where you can hunt and not. I've seen a lot of other people express the same frustration online and was wondering if anyone here had similar experiences.

All in all, I am hoping to get in touch with someone who shares my enthusiasm for hunting, the bushcraft and see what we can learn from each other.

Thanks,
    Matt
    If you dont mind me asking, where did you take your butchering course? How long was it?
    Cheers

Hey, yeah it was with Eat Wild, a local vancouver company. The course was pretty introductory and was over the span of an evening. That being said we all had our hands on a suckling pig and got to take it apart. Was very cool indeed.