Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Velvet Dreams

Re: Velvet Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Not to get into an aging or scoring debate and take away from the great photos.......

At first blush, when I looked at this handsome bull, his pedestal circumference is indicating a bit of age.

The indicators I see that lean towards a healthy younger bull are .....
    Eyes
    Coloration under his eyes
    Snout
    No scarring on his ears, snout, cape or sides.
    Pretty tough to be 7 or 8 as a prime breeding bull and show no wear and tear.
    Lack of mass ( if, like Dana says, this bull 'grew' a fair amount from last year ) bulls in the 7 to 8 year class will add mass and less in tine and beam length. He's still a grower which, in my opinion, shows a younger bull.
    No saddle back to him.

He will be taking on the boss bulls soon and hopefully kicking some ass.

Great photos of a very handsome up and comer!
    Your observations are very true IMO. Given I have played with these bulls for numerous years now, i can say with confidence I would have noticed this bull before last year if he was indeed older. The big boys are very aggressive in this area and fight very hard. To the death at times. Last fall the two biggest and meanest bulls met their demise by rutting too hard. With those two nasty bulls gone, there will be some serious game play this fall by the younger bulls to take their place.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Your observations are very true IMO. Given I have played with these bulls for numerous years now, i can say with confidence I would have noticed this bull before last year if he was indeed older. The big boys are very aggressive in this area and fight very hard. To the death at times. Last fall the two biggest and meanest bulls met their demise by rutting too hard. With those two nasty bulls gone, there will be some serious game play this fall by the younger bulls to take their place.

I take my statement about that bull being 7 back.. after zooming in and taking a second look I noticed his eye lids were under a inch long, putting him around 5 years of age.

jokes aside, reason I said that is because looking at his body size, sway in his back, color. Just looks older to me.
    decent bull, over here in the west kootenays the elk are a weeee bit bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenaykid85 View Post
    I take my statement about that bull being 7 back.. after zooming in and taking a second look I noticed his eye lids were under a inch long, putting him around 5 years of age.

jokes aside, reason I said that is because looking at his body size, sway in his back, color. Just looks older to me.
    decent bull, over here in the west kootenays the elk are a weeee bit bigger
    Here are some photos I took in Sept 2016 of a couple older age class bulls from the area. Comparing the velvet bull to these two you can see why Ourea and I believe the velvet bull is still quite young. Both these older bulls died in the fall of 2017 by rutting too hard. Are these two more up to your West Koot standards or are these ones dinks too?

Here are some photos I took in Sept 2016 of a couple older age class bulls from the area. Comparing the velvet bull to these two you can see why Ourea and I believe the velvet bull is still quite young. Both these older bulls died in the fall of 2017 by rutting too hard. Are these two more up to your West Koot standards or are these ones dinks too?

Cant really compare park bulls to bulls from a area that can be hunted. Well I guess those park bulls can be hunted by a select few.
    Good to see that it looks like you and ourea are back to being bestys.
    On a side note do you hand hold that Nikon 900 on full zoom or use a tripod.

take a picture of the first bull in september... full rut, full hair, full body weight a few fights under his belt like these ones and then try and compare.

I wouldnt doubt if this first bull is his father. cira 2011

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Cant really compare park bulls to bulls from a area that can be hunted. Well I guess those park bulls can be hunted by a select few.
    Good to see that it looks like you and ourea are back to being bestys.
    On a side note do you hand hold that Nikon 900 on full zoom or use a tripod.
    Haha! I'm not the one comparing these bull to WK bulls. It would be like comparing Wild Horse Island bighorns to GOS BC bighorns.

As for the P900, I hand hold on full zoom. Only really far criiters like mountain goats at 1 km or more need a tripod for good captures. Even at that, I still hand hold because I am too lazy to pack the tripod around.

how about after george and his crew kill that bull this year we ask for a tooth to be sent in!!! settle this debuckle lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenaykid85 View Post
    take a picture of the first bull in september... full rut, full hair, full body weight a few fights under his belt like these ones and then try and compare.

I wouldnt doubt if this first bull is his father. cira 2011

This guy is actually the likely father of the first bull. A huge difference in body size between the bulls.

This guy is actually the likely father of the first bull. A huge difference in body size between the bulls.

camera allways adds 10 pounds they say. inches too.

Takes a real dick to post up a picture of a one antlered buck for all to see. Going to give that poor guy some long term confidence issues.