Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stone Zone, a Northern BC Story

Hybrid View

The Stone Zone, a Northern BC Story

I’ve been a member of HBC for a few years now and like many of you have spent countless hours reading great stories from many members about successful hunts and good memories. As someone who enjoys mountain hunting I especially love a good sheep story, and given the time of year many a sheep hunter are getting excited for opening day. I think I have read and reread every sheep story on this forum and I got to a point and thought to myself why don’t I give it a try? You never know unless you try, so Ladies and Gentlemen this is my attempt at bringing you along on my 2017 Northern BC Stone Sheep adventure.

As with all hunts, the summer was full of planning: Securing transportation, gathering gear, pouring over maps, telling myself I’m going to train but that I’ll have time for that tomorrow and packing, repacking and rerepacking the old trusty Tatonka. Now I have been lucky enough to be part of other successful sheep hunts and but I have never had the opportunity to tag one myself. This year I was headed up North with my Father and our good family friend, and as I had missed last years successful sheep trip it was agreed that I was first shooter this trip. Needless to say I was excited. Before we knew it the truck was loaded and we were off. 10 hours later had us finding a hotel in Fort St. John to try and get some sleep before the last leg of our journey up the highway and into the mountains the next day. Usually I’d say I was too excited to sleep but knowing that the next 10 days were to be crammed into a 3 man tent, on a thermarest on the side of a rocky mountain, I enjoyed my last night’s sleep on a real mattress.

Leaving well before light and fast-forwarding well into the next day found the three of us sitting on the riverbank. We were here. There’s nothing like that initial feeling, sitting, taking it all in, wondering what the next few days will hold. Will I shoot my sheep? Will we even see any? Will a grizzly bear eat me? Who knows!

Our initial plan was to hike back into sheep mountains as fast as we could as it was a long ways back off the river so we wasted no time stashing our river gear well out of bear range and hitting the trail. Fortunately we found a great elk trail headed back into the mountains and made great time. At one point along the way we spotted a herd of elk with a nice looking bull watching his harem. We were all packing elk tags but the ‘original idea’ was that we would initially focus on sheep so we left him alone. Some time later had us seeing the alpine peaks of what could be Sheep Mountains. We were all quite happy to start glassing in anticipation. However with no sheep spotted we continued our arduous trek up the mountain, and as light was fading on the first day we decided to make camp. After a fine dinner of mountain house we were all ready for bed and as we did not have a fire we hit the sleeping bags shortly after dark for a full night of sleep.

The next morning we were up before light for a quick oatmeal breakfast, packed up camp and headed for the target area. The mountains got steeper, the sun got hotter, the wind blew stronger and around lunchtime we found ourselves cresting the first ridge and looking into some good sheep country. It was a beautiful September day and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. We had all dropped our packs and settled into the moss to rest up and glass the large bowl we were overlooking and the surrounding mountains. An hour later we had our first sheep spotted, a band of about 8 young rams. The majority of these were small banana curls but there was one low slung and flaring 6-7 year old that looked to have a very bright future ahead of him. It was around lunchtime when we decided to try and locate a water seep we had knowledge of in the area. Unfortunately being the hot dry year it was we realized that our mountain water source was gone. So there we were, on top of our first mountain, first day of hunting and only had the water in our bottles. What now? After some deliberation we decided to finish the day by hiking back DOWN the mountain we had just hiked up, as there was a small spring that fed into an elk wallow closer to the bottom. Yumm.. Fortunately there was a good camp spot on a ledge an hour from the ridge top and we decided it would be a good idea not to camp too close to prime sheep territory. After watching the rams in the first bowl continue to feed into the evening we decided to make our way back down to our campsite. We made camp in a small grove of trees, cooked some mountain house and tried to come up with a plan for hunting with limited water resources. Our initial plan was to get as far back as we could right away so this water situation was changing things. Dad proposed the idea that we hike down early in the morning and fill every bottle, bladder and bag we have with water as we should have enough for a good 3-4 days which should give us time to find another water source. That was the plan.

We could hardly sleep that night as the elk were screaming so loud. Not the worst problem I’ve ever had. The next morning we were up early and working our way down the mountain. Directly below us somewhere in the timber was a good bull, letting everyone around know he was king of the mountain and probably pissing in our soon to be drinking water. We found the spring and wallow and filled up every container we had, then we found ourselves trudging back up the mountain with more water then we’ve ever carried before. By the time we got back to camp it was close to noon and we had clouds moving in around us. We decided that instead of rushing things and because we did double the walking we thought we were going to do up to this point, that we would relax the rest of this day and then push deeper into sheep country tomorrow. It was after lunch already and Dad and Johnny decided to have a nap as it was getting overcast and we were all tired from the morning’s death march. As there was still elk bugling all around I decided to take the bugle and walk down the ridge to try and see what I could see.

About a half hour later had me in a screaming match with what sounded like a good bull across the draw. We went back and forth for an hour while I was huddled under a spruce as it rained on and off. Suddenly there was another elk call from the other side of camp, then another one from above camp… I wasn’t sure whether Dad and Johnny were calling or whether I was starting a war but those other calls sounded like the real deal. After about 5 minutes of screaming I could tell the big bull I was initially calling was coming across the draw and coming fast. It was at this point I decided to run back to camp and get Dad and Johnny. Before I hit camp I looked up the mountain and about 100 yards above our tent is a big bull screaming down at us within plain sight and beating the brush with his antlers. I didn’t know what to do, there was a big bull charging camp from below and one walking around right above camp. I continued to literally run back to camp and before I could get there I heard my name called from off the edge of the ridge. It was Johnny and Dad. They were watching the initial bull charge through the trees and make his way up our mountain. It all happened so fast. Johnny said to me the big 6-point was coming quick and was just held up in the last thicket out of site probably 100 yards down the hill. He said for me to run back a few yards and start raking the trees and making a ruckus. I raked an old dead bush with the butt stock of my gun just long enough for the bull to hear when he made one last charge up the hill. I heard the bark of Johnny’s Fierce 7mm mag and the WHAPP of a solid hit. As I ran over the edge I could see the bull piled up against a poplar just big enough to hold him from tumbling down the mountain. We all raced down the hill to make sure he didn’t go straight to the bottom and after securing him we boned him out and sucked him up a good tree where no bears could get to the meat.

As we were working we all laughed at our ‘initial Sheep first’ plan and how that lasted all of 1.5 days. We made a fire that night and ate elk tenderloin as we discussed our plan for the next few days. The weather had been fairly cool so we were not worried about leaving the meat hang for a few days. Johnny broke the silence at dinner by saying, “Kind of crazy isn’t it? This animal was literally running around, king of the mountain about 2 hours ago and now we’re cooking him over an open fire”. It’s an interesting thought when you sit down and ponder it. But that’s hunting and the reason many of us hunters choose to do what we do. We went to bed full that night, not looking forward to climb up the mountain with camp and water the next day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Stone Zone, a Northern BC Story

The morning found us busy packing camp and getting ready to spend the next few days deep for sheep. All went well without a hitch and we made it to the ridge top once more. We slowly ran ridges back into the heart of our sheep area glassing all the way. A few ewes and lambs and maybe a small ram here and there but nothing to write home about. It was later that afternoon Johnny decided to sit and watch a basin and Dad and I would continue down the farthest reaches of a long finger of the main ridge. As we hit the midway point I looked down one chute and spotted a sheep bedded by the top of a small peak. Right away we could see he was dark and had some serious mass. He had our attention. We were excited to see a decent ram so we snuck off the opposite side of the ridge and decided to get a closer look. 30 minutes later we were 200 yards from him with the spotter set up. He was a heavy 8-year-old, with a very deep low curl and thick dark coat. Beautiful ram!

Now as I said earlier I have never personally squeezed the trigger on a sheep, though I have had a few chances, so I wouldn’t consider myself completely new to sheep hunting. The one idea I made known to everyone on the drive up north and the first few days hunting was that I wanted “lamb tips” and ideally a nice wide flare. I don’t mean to sound picky but if a man doesn’t have a dream how can he ever reach it? So after watching the ram for 30-45 minutes and much to father’s dismay we decided to let him go and continue on to find me a tipped one. We pulled out without spooking him as we thought if we were careful we might get to see him again later. Just in case my feelings changed as he was a wonderful ram that held good weight right out to his tips. On our way back to camp we picked up Johnny and told him about what we’d just seen. We were all excited to now be into the sheep. That night we camped in a little hollow on top of the mountain. Now sleeping in a tent on top of a windy mountain is probably louder then sleeping in Bagdad during operation desert storm so for those of you that want to try it, be warned. The wind whipped so hard all night long that there were certain times I thought it was going to take 3 grown men and hurl us down the mountainside. However we awoke in the same place in the morning.

This morning we were all ready and rearing to go as the sheep spotted from the day before had given us a little energy to go on. We quickly glassed the basin we were camped by and then again started following the ridge all the while peaking into each crevasse and chute we went by. At lunch we started glassing the mountains opposite us and found a number of sheep, mostly ewes and lambs. There was one group of sheep that fed out of sight just as we spotted them that looked like it may have some good rams but we decided to continue to hunt the mountain we were on today and keep glassing over that area in hopes they would show themselves again. It was getting late in the day and the weather started to turn south. Wind picked up, rain started to spatter, temperature dropped and my lips were getting chapped. Basically all hell was breaking loose, what were we going to do? Well we had just walked all the way down to the end of the ridge we thought we would cover for that day and there was only one more drainage to look into. We all trudged down toward the wind whipped edge and upon looking into the cut we saw....... Nothing. We spent the next few minutes glassing hard as this was the cut my Dad was betting we would see rams in, however it was to no avail.

It was about 4 pm and we needed to start getting back to camp as it was so cold and miserable during the day I couldn’t imagine spending the night out there. We walked back a few minutes and then I asked to take a few minutes to look down another chute closer to where the ram from yesterday was. We stopped for a few minutes but there was no cover and the wind was horrendous. Dad and Johnny said that we should start making our way back to camp but as I do not have the wisdom of older sheep hunters I told them to go ahead and I’d catch up later. They did not seem thrilled to leave me on the side of the mountain alone so they said that we would all stay for another 10 minutes. I looked over the small grassy peak where the ram had been yesterday but there was no sign of life. Scanning the chute below me yielded nothing but a constant shiver and my teeth chattering. Even layered up with raingear the weather seemed to be taking its toll. It was at that 10-minute mark that Johnny and Dad got up and said “LET’S GO” that I looked down the chute one last time. There it was. What I saw looked to be a string of black specks making their way out of the buck brush to where we could see them, about 12 of them. With one quick look through the binoculars anyone could tell there were some nice rams in the bunch. Dad and Johnny were getting up and putting on their packs when I yelled (Barely audible in the screaming wind) “RAMS! BIG RAMS!” I had their attention. With a quick look through their binos they realized we may have something here and out came the spotting scopes. The two lead rams looked good. They were way down below us and were feeding up and away so initially from behind we could see they both had great mass. Within a few seconds I could see the lead ram not only had mass but also wide flaring tips on both sides.

Suddenly nobody was cold, the wind wasn’t bothering us and we were all happy to be on that wind swept rock. The rams were a long ways away and we quickly agreed there was no way we could get to them today without staying the night. We watched them for the next hour or so and snapped a few photos through the spotter. The two large rams would feed and bed and at one point started to push each other around. It was an awesome scene to watch. We decided we better start for home so we don’t get caught in the dark. Another fine dining evening of turkey tetrazzini and a view most people would kill for. The wind lessened when we got to camp and the sun even showed itself as it was setting just enough to lay out a few clothes and try to freshen things up. It was a very restless night on the mountain that night wondering where the rams were going and if we would be able to find them the next morning. I had dreams of the spotting scope pictures I had taken all night long.

Morning had us up and preparing breakfast before the sun came up. As the sun rose the sky was painted a brilliant red hue mixed with the clouds. Now I’m not much for signs or omens but seeing my day start with that kind of beauty really motivated me to end it with something just as wonderful. We were off in jig time to where we had last seen the rams. The morning was beautiful and it was shaping up to be a wonderful day, not a cloud in the sky. As we neared our spotting location we slowed down and started looking for sheep.

Right away we spotted a smaller ram that was in the band bedded right on the pinnacle where dad and I snuck up on the 8-year-old two days prior. We continued to glass and found the whole band was bedded down from him facing each and every direction. We could see all the rams except the two big ones. We decided that they were probably on the other side of the ridge and that we would have to stalk down to see them. So we cut over the backside of the ridge out of sight and started to cut the distance to the rams. We got to around 800 yards of the little sentry ram when we hit an opening where he would be able to see us. We sat and pondered our options: 1) We sit here until they get up and either feed our way or out of sight 2) Try to sneak down lower across the shale to circle them and continue our stalk. Well none of us are overly patient people so we decided we could circle around them. It was at this point the little sentry ram spotted Johnny and stood up. My heart sank as I thought the gig was up. We watched each other for a few minutes and he would take the occasional mouthful of grass then continue to watch us. Now Johnny is a very accomplished sheep hunter and has multiple Stone, Dall and Bighorn rams under his belt. HOWEVER when Johnny crouched and continued to walk right down our initial path while the little ram watched him I thought I was going to have to break my gun barrel over his head. Why would you do that??? I whispered to him to stop and tell me what he’s doing and he looked back at me and said as long as we don’t walk directly at them or their direction and keep low and slow that the little ram won’t mind seeing us until we duck out of sight in 50 more yards. Chances are this ram hasn’t seen a human before and certainly hasn’t been shot at so he shouldn’t be too worried... Right? Johnny looked back and said with a smirk “What’s he gonna do? Tell his friends?” Yes Johnny that’s exactly what he’s gonna do and I wasn’t overly thrilled with the plan. But in 5 minutes we were out of sight and the little ram didn’t give a hoot so I guess listening to experienced sheep guys does pay.

In 20 minutes we found ourselves perched on one side of a hogs back looking at the rest of the band. Right away I spotted a big ram bedded away from me 200 yards and steep downhill. All I could see was mass and all I could think about was that his horns almost looked like they touched at the bases. We sat there for about 15 minutes with the spotter set up to make sure he was legal. I kept looking at the ram through my scope and was thinking to myself “I was sure this ram has tips yesterday” but I don’t really see them today. Suddenly as I am watching the ram Johnny says “Yeah he just turned his head, he’s 8 and over the nose! Kill him when you get a shot” That’s great to hear, except the ram I was lined up on had not moved… We were watching completely different sheep! ~ Lesson learned, communication is essential. ~ Now after a quick discussion I looked up the slope 100 yards I could just see the head of the big tipped ram sitting there. He had less mass then the one I had been watching but he still looked great. Unfortunately we left the camera when we dropped our packs otherwise we would have got some fantastic photo and video. We watched them for the next 1-1.5 hours and every single ram got up, fed around and bedded down but the one I wanted. Now that’s an unnerving feeling. You have so much time to think about everything; it’s tough not to psych yourself up before the shot. Then all of a sudden we saw he was getting ready to stand. He stood and turned all in one motion and was facing me straight on. Here we go with the patience thing again, Johnny was just about to say “wait till he turns” but I already had the crosshairs squarely on his chest. A squeeze of the trigger and a thunderous boom of the Smith and Wesson 30-06 was met with a sudden “Puff” of hair and a seeming cloud of blood. The ram hit the ground in a pile and very little movement. The plan was to try and anchor him right where he was, as it was a solid 1000 steep yards to the bottom and he was in a precarious position. Initially the ram lay motionless and the only move he made was one kick. That little kick started a small roll, then a larger roll, then a larger roll and within seconds my dream ram was tomahawking down the mountain at 60 mph. All I could think about was those lamb tips, please be there when I get to you!

As the other sheep stood up and watched we looked at the other heavy Stone ram. Both my father and Johnny had decided they would let him go, as they were looking for something older so we watched them funnel off up the mountain. The next few minutes consisted of cheers, hugs, handshakes and high fives. I had finally done it. I had shot the sheep of my dreams. Now I only hoped he was still in one piece at the bottom. The hike down was about the quickest hike of my life and when we got to the bottom I could see him piled up in a rockslide. When I finally got to put my hands on him I could see he was still in one piece…relatively. We took a few minutes to soak it all in, the ram, the country, the company, and then we set to work on caping him out. Unfortunately from the steep downhill angle I was shooting my bullet rose and hit him in his lower jaw going straight through his neck. There was a fair size chunk missing in his jaw/throat region but hopefully something the taxidermist could still fix. We got the ram all caped and boned out and started our way back to camp. An uneventful 4 hours later saw us getting into camp on a beautiful evening. Not a cloud in the sky, sunny, low wind and warm. After a beef stroganoff and a snort of Wisers Rye we all sat down to enjoy our surroundings and I worked on caping the rest of my ram out. Off to bed early that night as we were going to pack everything back down to the river the next day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caping ram.jpg 
Views:	2372 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	7027  

Early in the morning we packed up camp, meat and horns and headed down the mountain. We all had good loads on so the trip down the mountainside was slow but we made better time then we thought. We walked by the tree where the elk was stashed and all looked good, it was still there and untouched. The plan was to go down to our camp on the river, drop the sheep and then come back up right away to get Johnny’s elk. We made our way back up the mountain that afternoon and after another quick scout around the area to check for bears we lowered the game bags and loaded our packs with elk. Fast forward many grueling hours and we were coming back into camp on the river. That was one LONG day of packing! We relaxed that evening on the river and enjoyed a dinner consisting of Sheep tenderloin, fried potatoes, cream corn and a Scotch while re lived the stories over and over. We slept well that night. Elk were bugling and there was even the odd wolf howl throughout the night.

The next morning after sleeping in we had breakfast and decided with one ram and one elk that we would enjoy camp and hunt elk on the river the next few days. That evening we had a few bulls bugling around us so we decided to see if we could get any of them to come in. An short hike up the mountain had us in the middle of elk heaven. There was a big bull screaming in the distance and after a few cow chirps we could tell he was coming in quick. We never even had time to get set up in that thick brush before the bull busted out not 50 yards in front of us, staring directly at us. We were caught in a Mexican standoff but we couldn’t tell if there was a 6th point or not. We stood there motionless for probably a minute when the bull finally clued in that we were not what he was looking for and he turned and burned. As he swung his head we could see the 6th points on both sides but he was gone in a split second. After another few hours tromping around the bush we came out to our camp where Johnny had a good fire going and had some meat cooking. We told him about the bull as we were sitting around the fire.

There were elk bugling all around us, some closer some farther so I started bugling right from camp. Within a few minutes I could tell there was a bull moving towards us from across the river and he had one of those bugles that sounded like it belonged to a mature elk. I took my rifle and headed out to the big opening beside the river the bull was headed towards while Dad and Johnny were enjoying the fire. I don’t think anybody initially thought I’d be able to pull the bull in close enough before dark as the sun was setting fast. 10 minutes later had me sitting in a small patch of bush in the middle of the clearing where the elk should be coming out. He was coming in, but a little slower now. All of a sudden Dad showed up and said he was ready to shoot if the opportunity arose. He was the only one yet not to pull the trigger so I put down my gun and assumed the role of spotter. Johnny sat behind us about 300 yards and started to call and rake the brush and pull the bull in closer. We could tell the bull had holed up right in the edge of the timber before the opening as we could hear him crashing around but we just couldn’t see him. We kept our eyes peeled and about 5 minutes later we saw the tops of his antlers swaying back and forth as he walked out in the opening. We couldn’t see him yet just his antlers but a quick count and double count showed he had 6 a side. As soon as he cleared the brush and we could see his body he stopped and raised his head to bugle. Dad said he counted 6 and asked if I did too. As soon as I said yes the roar of the 338 Win Mag cut the air and the 225-grain Barnes hit its mark. The Bull was cut off mid Bugle and never knew what happened. We raced over to him and made quick work as the darkness settled in. He was a great bull! Wide, heavy and long tines. We didn’t have enough time to do much so we gutted him and propped him open for the night to cool off. That night we wondered whether the pack of wolves we heard howling were going to come investigate the fresh kill. We thought about heading out there with headlamps to check but after some discussion we decided to wait until morning.

The next morning we were out bright and early boning him out and stashing the meat somewhere it would be safe. We spent the next few days elk hunting on the river and I had a good chance at a nice 6 point that I couldn’t capitalize on but non-the less we enjoyed the last few days away from civilization. Finally came the day we were headed downriver. It’s always a bittersweet moment leaving the mountains. So much anticipation, planning and hopes headed into them and then it all becomes a memory. In the end our 2017 Northern BC hunting adventure was a real success any way you look at it!

As I sit here writing this I am thinking about what this years Northern BC trip will hold. Again the anticipation builds as we plan, pack and train, thinking about the days to come. I hope you all enjoyed the read! Too all those headed out into the mountains this year have fun, be safe and shoot straight.

Great story. Captivating. Congratulations. It sounds like a fantastic adventure.

I have a few pictures that I am trying to upload but despite hours of sizing and resizing this website does not seem to let me upload any. Anyone who knows how to upload feel free to offer suggestions! Only my one photo worked.

Great story! Open imgur account. Upload pics. Copy the link for forums and paste on here. Can't wait to see them!

Wow great story
    that rite there is what I like about this site
    ty

Good story, good times
    tfs
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Wow, what a write up. Very cool. Well done on an awesome hunt. Your story makes me want to throw all my 2018 plans in the trash and head to the sheep zone.

Thanks again
    Chris