Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: No more Moose hunting for you, Whitey

Re: No more Moose hunting for you, Whitey

If it walks like a dick and talks like a dick...probably a dick
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    But he is still your brother. Hope your a little nicer at the Christmas dinner table.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    But the world needs people that shake things up rather then follow blindly

gcreek:

" ...have witnessed what 40 years of mismanagement by those with degrees and creation of “management models” have done to the local moose, deer and caribou populations."

I can't disagree with the state of affairs. We are where we are because we've mismanaged our impact on the landscape. If we hadn't mismanaged things we wouldn't be talking about it now.

Here's one thing that always gets me stuck though - there are a few guys here who seem to dismiss wildlife bios as simply in it for the money, not knowing what they're talking about, and not being supportive of predator control.

And yet I've heard wildlife bios say things like "Oh, we know who's eating them" or "BTW, we've been making this predator reduction recommendation for over a decade now".

I've also heard bios say "Make sure you know what you're talking about when you pull the predator reduction lever, because if you're wrong you don't accomplish anything and you burn up a shit ton of social capital".

That doesn't sound to me like guys who are completely opposed to predator reduction, or like guys who don't know what's killing the animals that they study. It actually sounds reasonable.

I think that maybe you're blaming the wrong guys, or maybe doing it with too broad of a paintbrush (maybe politicians like listening to the bios who well them what they want to hear).

I think we don't have more predator control because the politicians understand that it will cost them in spades. I say that especially after reading the report where the bio said (and I paraphrase) "I've been telling you guys this for a decade and you still don't listen". It seems unfair to characterize him as a know nothing if the real problem is that his bosses are ignoring him.

If you know of bios employed by government who are making what you think are stupid decisions can you send me that info?
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Ha ha this coming from the guy with thick skin. We are lucky the fish in the ocean are not like you, you bite on the first piece of bait put in front of you. Dana you seem to be a bit more angry than usual. You get laid off, troubles at home with the wife, kids on drugs, if this is the case, don't blame yourself. With my wifes cancer, there were and still are many good support groups, it has help us greatly, be nice to see the Dana of old on here again.
    hahaha. You skin is sooo thick you go fishing by calling someone a dick and then get butt hurt when they respond back. hahaha! If you are going play with the big boys don't be such a sensitive pussy the next time.

As for wanting the dana of old, time must have clouded your memories. When haven't I been a dick on HBC. Seem to remember getting banned plenty of times because people got their pussys hurt. Hahaha. Once a dick always a dick I guess. As for anger, nope, your read on me is wrong. Life is very good!

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Do you think that the killing of cows and calves under LEH and GOS was a good thing when hunters were ringing the alarm bells that the moose were in trouble? Yes, over harvest is the right word to use. All in the name of resident opportunity.
    Funny how we are also doing a Mule Deer Study and we still have Doe Draws across to Regions. Could this be just another Opportunity Grab?
    Declining Mule Deer numbers and LEH Does. That's good science.

Science trumping democracy(social science) otherwise known as politics...is totalitarian. Thus the appeal. Oh to be not be beholden to the ignorant masses.

Like religion of the past and present...allah,god,climate. Science like religion even has its end times myth. The self prescribed intellectual cannot escape the human condition. They have created an end times just like past scribes...no different,same shit different pile....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Same blind faith in spite of the evidence contrary....