Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: No more Moose hunting for you, Whitey

Re: No more Moose hunting for you, Whitey

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    Or some whack to point the gun someone. You are setting up a scenario in which most of the ones involved will be armed. Both sides are getting riled up.

As an aside, I thought there was no hunting allowed on the Tsilhqot’in Nation Title Land already. What exactly was the point of the court case and settlement if they will continue to make claims on land outside there territory?
    the title land is different, it is what it is. Fee simple title and no you can not hunt on that land. that is a small part of the Chilcotin. the rest of the "Chilcotin" has been claimed by the Tsilhqot'in Nation as traditional territory. There is no ownership of in the rest of the Chilcotin.

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    Ahhh yes, more traditional practice claims regarding the harvest of an animal that wasn't in the area 500 years ago, with modern high powered rifles and scopes in locking differential 4x4s...sounds about right 😏

Do it with a trad bow on foot and have at 'er, otherwise don't attack the best system in place to manage these moose populations in the first place...
    The first written account of moose being seen was 1914, a little more than 100 years ago.

what does the region 5 bioligist say? his job his call not alphonse...
    No government will call anything on the natives because the government would be called RACIST then.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    5-12 is not claimed by the Chilcotins, unless Ulgatcho gets on board there should be no problem.
    Awesome. Thanks.

I hate this political posturing dynamic from both sides. If we could have a system wherein all parties reported harvests, and were beholden to the same regulations and penalties, with goals set on what "recovery" will consist of, I'd be on board.

Alphonse and his family haven't been hunting moose he says. I think stopping an unregulated harvest is better than putting a stop to the regulated and monitored LEH harvest. What else is being done to recover moose? I would assume that LEH authorizations have gone down commensurate with populations.
    On the island we have equal shares of elk (legally) to the bands as to LEH. Is there a similar system in place for the indians up there?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    You just gotta poke the pile....

Unofficial but internally recognized First Nation "Policy" across Canada is to accept overharvest of wildlife with the recognition that once limited, licenced hunters and non-indigenous peoples will be excluded from the resource, creating the political and legal opportunity to claim control and exclusive access for Indigenous peoples only.

Whitey is screwed in BC if they want to harvest their own wild food.

I was only playing in the same sandbox I was invited to.

Contrary to most hunters attitude, regardless of race or skin colour, moose hunting in a big part of BC needs to be shut down for some period of time and a big effort to cull predators needs to happen.

I know a bit more about what is being discussed behind the Chilcotin's closed door and it actually is encouraging.

BTW, where is the supposed hunter's voice in this? BCWF?

if whitey go moose hunting ..legally..area what is 'hot' by Fn ...NEVER leave hunting camp alone...''ship' might happen..unfortunately..

They cant hunt anywhere off “their” land. Sounds ok to me!

Spent about a month up in 5-13 recently and vast parts of it are devastated from the fires. Even the soil seems burnt. Noticed that whirlwinds now reach the ground as I believe the loss of foliage allows this. So the soil now is carried up and away. Some of these whirlwinds were throwing around the burnt trees like matchsticks. Could spot what game is left from a great distance. No hiding places. I’m sure whatever game is left could use a hand from all stakeholders to survive and multiply. Really sad to see. Seems the smaller critters are all gone too. Never saw a single squirrel or whiskeyjack. Don’t know how far the devastation goes though ... lot’s of new green grass and shrooms, as always it will come back given time.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She’s got a face that would sour cream

Arrow Re: No more Moose hunting for you, Whitey

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    ... Alphonse and his family haven't been hunting moose he says...
    Maybe. Or maybe his personal larder is already full?
    Regardless, he has zero control over his own as witnessed by the many that continue to harvest moose - including cows & calves.
    With zero accountability.

On the island we have equal shares of elk (legally) to the bands as to LEH.
    Until they shoot the bejesus out of the herd, thereby rendering it off limits to everyone (supposedly including themselves).
    Getting the draw in Nahmint was a favorite dream.
    After their massacre (no other word for it) it is entirely unlikely I will ever live long enough to see a single LEH ever let there again.

And you perceive such a program might work with these people on the mainland??
    Hmmmm...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    The first written account of moose being seen was 1914, a little more than 100 years ago.
    Shhh, you'll poke holes in the claims to traditional hunts 100s of km away from traditional territories before the introduction of horses or frame packs, for animals that weren't even there at the time with weapons, modes of transportation and methods of hunting that weren't even conceivable just a short time ago...they have a monopoly on griz now, moose is next if we don't make our voices heard.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear