Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Rookies planning LEH Caribou Itcha Ilgachuz 5-12 hunt

Re: 2 Rookies planning LEH Caribou Itcha Ilgachuz 5-12 hunt

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Coincidentally had this very conversation this morning with a friend while out with the dogs. Do some practicing with your compass and make sure you have a good gps. His relatives have done the hunt twice - all day on horseback to get in... The one novice in the group got disoriented and lost. They needed Search and Rescue to finally get him out. Apparently when you climb to the highest spot to look around and get your bearings, everything looks the same in all directions. Neither hunt filled a tag. The caribou numbers are really low or they are getting smarter and hiding really well. Beautiful country though.
    Appreciate the input, Elch Jager!
    Glad you mentioned it because seasoned hunters keep telling me it was impossible to get lost, that there is only one lake and one mountain range but looking at the maps I had a hunch that wasn't the case. Especially for a newbie like myself.

Speaking of Caribou numbers getting really low, the BC chapter of the BHA (Backcountry hunter and anglers) is spreading awareness of this matter through a screening of "Last Stand: The Vanishing Caribou Rainforest" if you're not too far from the city it would be great to see you there.

Anyone else reading this if you would like to attend PM me for more details to avoid spamming or taking things off topic on this thread.

A bit more about the July 26th event:
    "Last Stand: The Vanishing Caribou Rainforest is a cinematic journey into the tragically threatened world of endangered mountain caribou whose home is the world’s largest remaining inland temperate rainforest. Critical human and political choices will ultimately decide the fate of this stunning ecosystem, which spans from the US, through much of the Kootenays, north to the Yellowhead Highway."
    Last edited by jennylyyy; 07-11-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    I share the stories of individuals who hunt, gather & protect our wild lands @chasingfoodclub @backcountryhuntersbc

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    not much of a caribou hunter myself (not yet anyways lol)...but cool website, I hope you are successful and we can read about your adventure...good luck!
    Thanks, BRvalley for the support. I'm shitting bricks because it's grizzly country but also excited as hell for the adventure and the thought of stocking my freezer with good eating meat. Oh, there will be pictures and one hell of a story to share
    I share the stories of individuals who hunt, gather & protect our wild lands @chasingfoodclub @backcountryhuntersbc

Hmm big grizzlies out there plus big caribou..always seen caribou every flight.surprising how many are in amongst tge trees.
    The complete herd disapeared for 1 year but came back. .a couple of HBC hunters shot 2 heavy antlered bou 4 years ago..
    Go earlier imo.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by jennylyyy View Post
    Appreciate the input, Elch Jager!
    Glad you mentioned it because seasoned hunters keep telling me it was impossible to get lost, that there is only one lake and one mountain range but looking at the maps I had a hunch that wasn't the case. Especially for a newbie like myself.

Speaking of Caribou numbers getting really low, the BC chapter of the BHA (Backcountry hunter and anglers) is spreading awareness of this matter through a screening of "Last Stand: The Vanishing Caribou Rainforest" if you're not too far from the city it would be great to see you there.

Anyone else reading this if you would like to attend PM me for more details to avoid spamming or taking things off topic on this thread.

A bit more about the July 26th event:
    "Last Stand: The Vanishing Caribou Rainforest is a cinematic journey into the tragically threatened world of endangered mountain caribou whose home is the world’s largest remaining inland temperate rainforest. Critical human and political choices will ultimately decide the fate of this stunning ecosystem, which spans from the US, through much of the Kootenays, north to the Yellowhead Highway."

Predators in this area are a far greater threat that habitat as you will find if you make the connection I gave you.

The Itcha Ilgachuz park looks like one heck of an adventure. Ive only spent time south of anahim so this talk really intrigues me. Where is there to fly into aside from Itcha lake? Looks like a great place to whack a giant black bear.

Had the same draw last year...PM sent.

Thinking about it as well, but I'll save that experience for next spring. Heard fall bear wasn't good eating nor the fur would be nice to tan. Will get some wolf tags though! I'm not sure...I know you can take horses in but the lake is kind of everyone's starting point from what I've read.

As gcreek mentioned, there's a lot of predators in the area eating away at the Caribou. Mainly due to the fact we've wacked down half the old growth trees so they have nowhere to hide....but that's another story.

Thanks, everyone for recommending we go early! I think that's the game plan so far. Fly in 1 day before opening day. Set up camp and start scouting.
    Last edited by jennylyyy; 07-12-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Hmm most will fly in but some have used the old wagon road in from the north east.no motorized vehicles.
    Most hunters start by the lake..
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by jennylyyy View Post
    Thinking about it as well, but I'll save that experience for next spring. Heard fall bear wasn't good eating nor the fur would be nice to tan. Will get some wolf tags though! I'm not sure...I know you can take horses in but the lake is kind of everyone's starting point from what I've read.

As gcreek mentioned, there's a lot of predators in the area eating away at the Caribou. Mainly due to the fact we've wacked down half the old growth trees so they have nowhere to hide....but that's another story.
    Fall bear is good eating so long as they aren’t eating salmon. Mountain bears are usually gorging on berries in the later summer/early fall.