Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Rookies planning LEH Caribou Itcha Ilgachuz 5-12 hunt

Question 2 Rookies planning LEH Caribou Itcha Ilgachuz 5-12 hunt

Hi Everyone,

Writing on behalf of myself and another rookie hunter. Sept will be our first season out.

Lucky us, we both entered for LEH caribou! We've committed to going - go big or go home right? I've read through helpful threads about Caribou, but noticed they're very old feeds and wondered if conditions have since changed?

Questions:

1. Should we fly in opening day on Sept 10th, or wait till it gets cooler later in the month around Sept 20-30th during the rut? The heat is a concern because a) we're two newbie hunters breaking down a huge animal for the first time b) we're going to need two trips minimal between the two of us and worried about meat spoiling

2. Any recommendations for pilots?

3. Should we fly in with coolers, and stash them in the bush by the lake in case we take down a bull on our first morning? That way we can stay and hunt other game?

Thank you for your input and support!
    Last edited by jennylyyy; 11-02-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    I share the stories of individuals who hunt, gather & protect our wild lands @chasingfoodclub @backcountryhuntersbc

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 Rookies planning LEH Caribou Itcha Ilgachuz 5-12 hunt

You're way further ahead than most. At least you plan on flying in. Most people ask how far the hike is.

Rutting caribou are inedible. Totally disgusting. If you're in it for meat take it early.

Stewart’s lodge float plane with pilot Ian top notch, book the old beaver. Just to get to fly in that old warhorse is a hunting trip highlight. We used them a couple times.

I think any time in September the meat should be good. The last week might be starting to get sketchy. October caribou in that area are terrible. When you are hunting don't discount the meadows around the lake. It has been awhile since I have been there but we have seen nice bulls in the meadows.

Coincidentally had this very conversation this morning with a friend while out with the dogs. Do some practicing with your compass and make sure you have a good gps. His relatives have done the hunt twice - all day on horseback to get in... The one novice in the group got disoriented and lost. They needed Search and Rescue to finally get him out. Apparently when you climb to the highest spot to look around and get your bearings, everything looks the same in all directions. Neither hunt filled a tag. The caribou numbers are really low or they are getting smarter and hiding really well. Beautiful country though.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylyyy View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Writing on behalf of myself and another rookie hunter. Sept will be our first season out.

Lucky us, we both entered for LEH caribou in Itcha Lake and one of us got it! We've committed to going - go big or go home right? I've read through some helpful threads about hunting Caribou, even some specific to Itcha lake area, but noticed they're very old feeds and wondered if conditions have since changed.

As of right now, I have two questions I'm pondering on:
    1. Should we fly in opening day on Sept 10th, or wait till it gets cooler later in the month around Sept 20-30th during the rut? The heat is a concern because a) we're two newbie hunters breaking down a huge animal for the first time b) we're going to need two trips minimal between the two of us and worried about meat spoiling

2. Any recommendations for pilots? We've been referred to Stewart's Lodge & camps at Nimpo Lake

I'm sure more questions will come up as we plan our trip and get knees deep in Caribou education. Thank you for your input!

Check your PM.

nice gcreek lives there....i perdict you have some help

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    You're way further ahead than most. At least you plan on flying in. Most people ask how far the hike is.
    Thanks! That gave me a good chuckle. I didn't want to slap a question on here without doing everything I can to educate myself first.
    I share the stories of individuals who hunt, gather & protect our wild lands @chasingfoodclub @backcountryhuntersbc

not much of a caribou hunter myself (not yet anyways lol)...but cool website, I hope you are successful and we can read about your adventure...good luck!
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster