Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat coolers and accommodation in 5-12

Meat coolers and accommodation in 5-12

Hello again HBC, Looking for some helpful info.

I have been lucky enough to get drawn for a shared moose hunt in area 5-12B, so we will be headed up for our Oct 1-14th draw.
    I have done some searching but haven't had too much luck finding any butchers, or meat coolers that will take wild game in. There must be some, but anahim lake is pretty small and google doesn't turn up much.. Does anyone know of any places remotely near Anahim lake that will take moose quarters (or even a deer) in to cool it? We've been drawn for two bull moose tags, and would like to have plans if we shoot one early into our hunt.

On another note, planning on camping out, but does anyone knows of any reasonable, hunter friendly lodges, or motels near there to stay in? We may pay for accommodation if we can get it at a fair price.
    Thanks in advance!

Erik.
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Meat coolers and accommodation in 5-12

Hahahaha.. Time to change your profile pic son!
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

You should be ok by October 1 to hang meat in a shaded timbered area. Proper field care, and cheese cloth quarters can hang well in shade! Good hunting to you! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Hahahaha.. Time to change your profile pic son!
    Just slightly outdated hey??

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    You should be ok by October 1 to hang meat in a shaded timbered area. Proper field care, and cheese cloth quarters can hang well in shade! Good hunting to you! Moosin
    Grizzlies and other bears are not too much of a concern when hanging game? Probably wanna keep it away from camp then wouldn't you? Please excuse my lack of moose camp experience haha.

Hmmm lots of fishing resorts, cabins near Anihim..Nimpo lake....dont know of anyplace to hang game out there last place heading west is just before Redstone reserve right on nwy 20..on left going out..its a huge meat cutting buissness. .would be worth checking out en route to your camp.lots of bears many would be the grizzlies...proper storage of meat would be the prudent thing to do 4 legged and 2 legged invaders.most all places wont hang meat if not getting the meat cutting buissness too..
    Not the best area to be camping in by one s self..find a cabin..resort..lodge..lots out there.
    Do not leave anything irreplaceable in vehicles or in camp.
    Check at the cabins..resorts if they have meathanging shed...
    Be careful out there.
    Good hunting..
    Steven

Keep an eye out for Grizzlies. My Father in law got charged up there last October. Listen to Steven (srupp). His pointers landed me my first moose up there last fall. No draw for me this year unfortunately. We saw 2 Grizzlies, 3 black bear, and came out with our two moose and a whitetail buck.

Whoops, I missed the whole point of this. No, we called every butcher on the list on HBC and none would hang out meat without getting the cutting business. We wanted to hang it in a cooler while meeting the wives and families for thanksgiving before going back home. We ended up having to drive down to the lower mainland to our butcher before driving back up to the cabin for thanksgiving. It was 20 degrees last October the day I dropped my moose. But that night it went down to about 2 degrees. We hung it in the shade and it cooled nicely and the nights were cool and the daytime only went up to about 12 degrees. We talked to our butcher and he said as long as it is cooled properly it should be fine to hang in the shade near a cool lake for quite a while. We still decided rather than to leave it for the long weekend in 20 degree heat that we'd drive home and drop it off at our butcher.

Also, the day I dropped my moose in 20 degree heat the flies were unreal.

Thanks for the advice Alex! Another question, is it not wise to get a local butcher to package it all up? Does it take too long and is it legal to transport wrapped and prepared animals? I'm trying to understand the regulations, but there aren't worded very nicely.