Thread: Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting

Man it is almost here, I am headed on my first sheep hunt in a couple weeks and just planning the finer details. I have a question about camp location.

1. Do you camp low or higher up?
    2. How do you store food? what if there are no trees to hang it?

Thanks everyone.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sheep Hunting

If water permits, get high and stay high. Might not be advice that other people say but has worked for the 6 stones we have taken so far...

I keep food in vestibule contained in a silnylon drybag, not concerned with griz - more concerned with smaller rodents etc. eating all my dinners

Do what you can with the food. If you are concerned about bears then keep your food out away from your tent hanging off a rock outcrop, or bush.

I generally like to use a bright red or orange silnylon dry bag, and hook it over a shrub where I can see it from a couple hundred yards out when I’m returning to camp. If it ain’t there when you are coming back, then you at least have a heads up that something was/is there, and you can take the appropriate precautions.

fun fun! wish I was sheep hunting! ....maybe next year! good luck!

I'm from Ontario as well, but while living in the Yukon I learned that... Generally speaking... you don't have to worry about bears in back country alpine situations in the north the same way you do in Ontario. Back east, people tend to camp regularly in the same spots (even when you get deeper into the woods) and the bears start to figure it out and come looking, especially in places like Algonquin. If you're in the north, and in the alpine, people aren't using the same spots with enough regularity for bears to figure out the pattern so they'd really have to get lucky.

If I'm feeling nervous, I build a little rock cache a little ways away from camp and leave my food there. If I'm feeling lazy, vestibule it is. Virtually none of the sheep hunters I know go to any lengths to hide their food and most just kept it in the vestibule.

Oh... And a good rule of thumb is to camp as high as you can find water.

Thanks for the replies.