Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpack size for sheep hunt

Re: Backpack size for sheep hunt

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    5900ci Stone glacier here - packs everything for 5 days and still stays in bivy mode .... which is like 65 or 70L. I think 80L would be just fine.
    5900ci is close to 100L pack, that's decent. SG Terminus here, 6300ci main bag is just right for keeping everything inside. 2100ci expandable meat shelf brings the grand total to 130L+ capacity, I like it.
    Last edited by .264winmag; 07-12-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

This is my situation as well, I also have a sky talus andI have very high end and light equipment and I fill the bag when I do a 8-10 day hunt.

I had a 80L pack for years, finally got a mystery ranch at 110L. It's more room than I would need on average but I would not go back. I don't find I pack any more needless gear, but what I do take is MUCH easier to get in and out of the pack. With an 80L full to the top I always found you have to empty it out to dig one item from it. With the larger pack I just loosen the straps and there's room to dig around. Not more fighting to compress items that don't quite fit.

I use an eberlestock just one 75 litre expanded without extra bag on going in and bring the expansion pack for ha keeping my pack organized on the way in and I can keep my stuff separate on the way out with a load on this gives me 122 litres should I need it. I pack for 2200 calories a day 10 day food supply 300 ultramag 9 pounds+, 20 rounds ammo Leica rangefinder, sea to summit water proof down bag, 2 man eureka tent for base camp, integra designs bivy for 1-2 day stalks, spot, GPS, 2 litres of water, Jet boil 3 fuel 1 small 2 large, 30 Starbucks coffees knives fork spoon, first aid kit

Pack is sitting at 59 lbs

13#s of that is the pack alone
    now Every 5#'s costs anouther $1000 though I could drop 5-7 of extras

We have been training with weight 35-50lbs in our packs now for a couple weeks. We are training on steep terrain lots of vertical. I can’t believe the difference 15lbs can make, I’m going to save up, research and spend to try and keep my pack at around 50lbs if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
    13#s of that is the pack alone
    now Every 5#'s costs anouther $1000 though I could drop 5-7 of extras
    Jeez ... why carry a 13lb pack? What does it offer that makes lugging it worth it? I know that light weight options are very expensive but at 13lb I think I'd rather get a $150 external pack frame from Cabelas and re-pad as necessary for a good fit.

Not that I can really add much to this thread. But I just got an EXO 5500. It's a big bag and will definitely be able to fit everything, but I am very surprised at how much room things take up. My thinking was to buy a bigger bag since most will compress down pretty good and weigh essentially the same, but I can see where you need to make sure you are always trying to figure out what is useful and what really isn't.

110L pack is almost as tall as me LOL
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"