Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack size for sheep hunt

Backpack size for sheep hunt

Hi there

I have bought a mystery ranch 80L terra frame for 10 day fly in sheep hunt. The back pack is 80L plus a overload shelf. It’s a really nice bag I’m just worried now that it might be to small. Do any of the members here run a similar size bag for mountain hunts? I’m buying all new gear so most of the items will be small and light weight. Obviously I would like to keep my pack below 50lbs but we will see. Thanks for your help.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backpack size for sheep hunt

If it just packs in what you need

How do you pack out what you get ?

Just a thought... I run the biggest Barney I could get

If you can get all your gear in the bag and save the load shelf for meat if successful you’re good to go.

I have a Stone Glacier 6900 cubic inch (113 litre) pack that I bought for a 10-14 day pack in hunt. Bought the lightest weight gear I could find and even at that the pack ended up at 56 lbs with light weight rifle. It is a nice big, well organized pack but it was pretty well full.

I guess my thinking was most of the food would be gone, also If we get something the meat would go on the overload shelf
    Last edited by jac; 07-10-2018 at 05:15 PM.

I have a kuiu 7000 and it’s perfect. I think around the 60 to 80L is fine. Just have to get cautious with the larger bags not to over fill them.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Quote Originally Posted by PressurePoint View Post
    I have a kuiu 7000 and it’s perfect. I think around the 60 to 80L is fine. Just have to get cautious with the larger bags not to over fill them.
    I agree....max 80l is sufficient otherwise you get inclined to bring too much.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

On a 10 day hunt with 80L you will probably have to strap some stuff on the outside such as sleeping mat, tent, tripod etc. It's fine and I did it for years with no issue before I bought a bigger pack (110l now). The bigger packs let you get everything inside, but both can work without too much issue.

I use a Kifaru Reckoning with pockets and lid its around 7600 Ci (125L) with gear and food the bag is only 2/3 full sitting at 58Lbs with rifle and full frame camera. I don't like using load shelves as it puts the main bag with gear out from your back. On day hunts its not a bad thing as your not carrying much. I wouldn't want to have a smaller bag then that. It can be done but its easier to have more room and not need it then not enough and need it.

I took eberlestock dragon fly on 10 day hunt no problem. 70L last couple days left of food and a goat. Packed nicely