Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpack size for sheep hunt

Re: Backpack size for sheep hunt

80l is lots in my opinion. As stated above, more room =more room for unneeded things. Use the load shelf to carry your food, unless you get your sheep on day 1 you will have eaten some room for meat to sit in

Chris

80 liters is more than enough...packing out all your gear with meat, cape, and horns will take two trips so having a bigger bag will not do much, you still have to be able to haul the weight out safely, scaling a mountain with more than a 100-120 pounds is not safe (my experience), all your gear meat cape and horns will be more than this, easier to make two trips than injure or kill yourself

i am assuming your going solo, with a partner everything should be able to come out in one trip unless you both shoot a sheep

It will be my friend, brother and myself so 3 total

Bigger the better. 80l to small in my opinion . A 6500ci pack is about 106l. 7500ci is 122l. 80l being 4800ci is not enough.
    BCWF
    VIPDC

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyIfYouGetOne View Post
    80 liters is more than enough...packing out all your gear with meat, cape, and horns will take two trips so having a bigger bag will not do much, you still have to be able to haul the weight out safely, scaling a mountain with more than a 100-120 pounds is not safe (my experience), all your gear meat cape and horns will be more than this, easier to make two trips than injure or kill yourself

i am assuming your going solo, with a partner everything should be able to come out in one trip unless you both shoot a sheep
    I agree....don't kid yourself if you think you will be able to pack 100lbs plus....the wear and tear and risk of injury isn't worth it. Go load your pack up with an honest 100lbs and try it out....
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I had my MR 6500, which as mentioned is over 100cubic inches and it was as small as I would go.
    KCCO

Does the 6500 have a overload shelf also? I called mystery ranch today they sell a 40L bag they goes on the overload shelf which then will make the bag around 7200CI that seems pretty huge. I will haul the food in that bag and leave at camp. At that point if we are lucky enough haul meat on the shelf. That should work I think.

I’ve run an arcteryx bora85 for years. Longest trip was 7 days and it was maxed out. Anything shorter and it’s ideal for two guys packing 1 animal out. Give er a go and see what works for u.

That said I’ve always thought a 10-15 liter side pocket or two would make for some extra food room, wouldn’t bugger up loading of the pack much, and could remove for shorter 2 night excursions. Anyone got any ideas on who makes such a thing that might fit my needs (and help the OP too!)?

TJ

5900ci Stone glacier here - packs everything for 5 days and still stays in bivy mode .... which is like 65 or 70L. I think 80L would be just fine.

I would agree that an 80L will work as a minimum, did two sheep hunts and two goat hunts win an 80L. Three times out heavy with a partner, once solo with the pup. She had 12# and I 110#, pretty comical all the crap hanging off that little 80L bag HA. And as said it just about killed me. Sneak as much meat into your partners bag as you can while he's asleep
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..