Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another heli bike tenure application (pemberton)

Another heli bike tenure application (pemberton)

Please sign and comment on the application.
    Comments close the 19th

https://www.change.org/p/forests-lands-and-natural-resources-preserve-the-tenquille-to-owl-lake-recreation-area?recruiter=887284388&utm_source=share_petition &utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_ abi&utm_term

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPo...p?PostID=55367

Sample comment.

I am an avid mountain biker, backcountry skier, kiteboarder, snowmobiler, and hunter.
    Wild places in the sea to sky are already under extreme pressure from recreational users.
    There is No place for this disruptive industry in the corridor and possibly the province. It is completely unnecessary with so many trails already in existence and gets way to many people into areas they don’t need to be in.

If they want to fly people in on planes somewhere that’s fine, like spruce and Lorna lake in the south chilcotin.
    But helicopters offer way to much access for way to little effort and I strongly believe the province should be refusing heli bike tenure applications anywhere in BC.
    I know Retallack is also applying for a huge one.
    It’s straight up bad news for wildlife and wild places.
    Rule # 1 No talking about undies. yours or anyone elses.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Another heli bike tenure application (pemberton)

Thank you for sharing! In my opinion this is the type of thing we (our government) need to be limiting for the sake of wildlife instead of continually reducing resident hunter opportunity and calling that wildlife management.

Quote Originally Posted by the hopper View Post
    .....helicopters offer way to much access for way to little effort...
    and that is the nut of it right there.... some feel that if you didn't earn the experience with a grueling effort in, that you don't deserve to be there. Tell me Hopper, when you are 70 and can no longer peddle up, but would like to drop in for some easy spinning in your old stomping grounds... should we also deny you access?

Should we extend that to heli-fishing as well? I've dropped in to some back country lakes and been accosted verbally by hikers who were literally apoplectic - red faced and spitting mad at the ease of access that a $2M heli gives you... even when you land on the far side of the lake giving them a wide berth. Apparently 8 or 10 hours of climbing gives them some divine right that supersedes a lifetime of business success and the means to go absolutely anywhere you bloodywell please.

I'd even support a premium LEH helicopter hunt carefully managed and controlled with compulsory inspections and the same flight rules as fixed wing.

I don’t really care about the effort part. It’s everything else that comes with choppers and pumping lots of people into an environmentally sensitive area to engage in a destructive activity.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Isn't there anywhere you can go any more without some self entitled ********** barreling down the mountain at you on a bicycle?

Done & Shared.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Hey elch dude
    ive also been bothered by human powered backcountry skiers when on a sled same principle as you describe fishing.

when Im 70 i May still be able to still get around ok but I could also be dead haha, Fack. It’s more about leaving a beautiful area intact for my kids and your kids so that they can fall in love with it just like we did. When did we all get so self centred

im not opposed to heli fishing where you’re in, shutdown and hanging for the day with a client or whatever. It’s more the excessive traffic potential and irresponsible guest potential.
    plus if you’ve got such a successful business buy a mountain and shuttle people all day long lol I’m not gonna bug you.

but yes to kinda echo the holio it’s not the effort it’s everything else

when I hunt I tend to walk a lot locally, just because that’s how it is in region 2
    when I travel I use other vehicles to legally access various parts of the province that I could walk to but I don’t because it would take weeks.
    I would even support heli drops if people were to walk down haha but we all know there’s no market for that.
    You wanna fly in eat lunch camp out I don’t care they do it all over right now anyways.
    Shit, you can hire a heli and they’ll take you out with a bucket of balls so you can whack em off a beautiful spot right now. Again I don’t care. Small market small impact. I guess I can do that when I’m old.
    so it’s directly linked to the amount of air and human traffic this will lead to.
    Last edited by the hopper; 07-09-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    and that is the nut of it right there.... some feel that if you didn't earn the experience with a grueling effort in, that you don't deserve to be there. Tell me Hopper, when you are 70 and can no longer peddle up, but would like to drop in for some easy spinning in your old stomping grounds... should we also deny you access?

Should we extend that to heli-fishing as well? I've dropped in to some back country lakes and been accosted verbally by hikers who were literally apoplectic - red faced and spitting mad at the ease of access that a $2M heli gives you... even when you land on the far side of the lake giving them a wide berth. Apparently 8 or 10 hours of climbing gives them some divine right that supersedes a lifetime of business success and the means to go absolutely anywhere you bloodywell please.

I'd even support a premium LEH helicopter hunt carefully managed and controlled with compulsory inspections and the same flight rules as fixed wing.
    The effort required is a valid concern for a number of reasons:

a) It serves as a filtering mechanism. Fewer people in an area means higher wilderness values. That includes higher wildlife values. Take away the filter in an area like the Sea to Sky, and you get a whole pipeline of dirty water, in from the reservoirs of social filth down below. That may sound trenchant, but its generally true.

b) Effort required, generally forges a respectful attitude. Not always, but If it takes several hours of fighting gravity to get into an area, you tend to appreciate it just a little bit more. Easy come, easy go, just like in business.

c) Inadequately managed mechanized access brings garbage and other unsightly intrusions. "Pack out what you pack in" seems utterly lost on mechanized operations wherever they operate.

So while you probably appreciate the relative ease of airborne transport into areas you might not otherwise get into, Your isolated experiences are not really what's being discussed here. We're talking about a company that ultimately seeks to initiate hourly flights in a Bell 212 into what would ordinarily be a pristine valley used by self-propelled wilderness recreationists for the sole purpose of leaving things like airports behind for a few hours-days.

The specific location is bad if only for both its historical use and its relative proximity to Pemberton. Heli tour operations can be nasty businesses for people who'd rather leave the machines behind. Their tenures are often massive, (therefore hard to avoid) because in theory, they can go way back into remote, unused areas; but the economic reality of flight time often forces them to use popular front-country locations. This initiates conflict with historical use.

Pemby_mess Guest

Any concerns about this put forward to the ministry should include the mountain goats in the area. They tend to vacate when choppers come in, and I know that the bios looking at this file will also be concerned about that particular impact.

Yes the goats are extremely bothered by helicopters as well even more so then the bears, that original post was put on a bunch of save the bear websites haha, I figured they may as well do something useful for once.