Thread: Hunting whitetails late October.

Hunting whitetails late October.

Hey all, I’m planning a late October trip for whitetails up Vernon/ Cherryville area with a new hunter. I’ve never been up there but I’ve been on google earth and have picked a few decent spots. I’ve been hunting mulie deer for the last few years and am trying something new.
    Any advice or hunting tactics?
    Will the be much snow that time of year?
    Any advice or hints will be appreciated
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting whitetails late October.

Find fresh sign, sit on fresh sign, find travel corridors in legal areas to hunt near the agriculture, if possible...they will be spooky by that time of year, as by then they have acclimatized to the doe season pressure..

All the deer are gone around here pops way down ... you should get lucky and find a doe maybe.

But in all seriousness though this year again similar to last not the hundreds of pics on my trail cams like there was 4 or some years ago ... I would personally hunt 8-11 or 8-21 ... terrace mountain fire holds plenty of whiteys and mule deer.

Lots of info has be posted about wt tactics on HBC do a search. Way too sleepy to re type stuff and too much to do lol

mule deer and WT act very different and should be hunted differently for best results

Think I've only poked one mature buck in oct round there, couple young bucks but I don't do much wt hunting these days until nov.10 after mulie closes. You'll get your wt doe if you want though, and chase some mulies if nothin else. Usually not much for snow in wt lowlands yet that time of year, a bit up higher along with the mulies and odd straggler wt. I've forced myself to sit and wait the wt out these days, unless weather conditions permit for still huntin. Set up a pile of cob and they will come...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..