Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fix the camper roof ~ question.

fix the camper roof ~ question.

So the roof on the old camper needs some leak repair. Got us some leaks around the escape hatch over the bed and one on the edge of the roof.

What is the best material to reseal along the roof edge? Looks like some kind of roofing tar on there now and it's lifted a little in spots.

Can we get rid of the escape hatch and patch the hole over with aluminum flashing? Would that work?

Any experienced home repair people please speak up!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: fix the camper roof ~ question.

After owning my share of crappy campers I have learned to simply remove the offending roof vent or escape hatch.
    The last one I just put a piece of flat tin over after removing the hatch, works good and no leaks after 5 years...
    I like the clear silicone roof repair stuff, cant remember the name, good stuff and you dont need much, get it at home hardware.

Hmm vents are mandatory for c8rrect ventalation..take off old sealant, clean, replace with self leveling sealant.
    Cheers
    Steven

https://www.amesresearch.com/product...tdoor-sealant/

I coated a camperette roof about 15 yrs ago with these guys snow seal and it's still going strong! K

How old is the camper? One piece aluminum, multi piece, rubber membrane?
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

You want PLAS-T-COTE Alkyd Fibered roof coating. This one for fiberglas and the PLAS-T-COTE Aluminium Alkyd Fibered roof coating for ,,,,you guessed it, aluminium. A quart will be ample for seams, a gallon for the entire roof and then some. It's self leveling.
    http://www.rvautoparts.com/Dehco-164...l_p_27604.html
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

And keep the ceiling vent. Needed for air flow to move moisture and other undesirable gaseous entities.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Sikaflex
    on a clean base
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

google "EternaBond". I used this stuff for a trailer roof repair with great results.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Sikaflex
    on a clean base
    Sikaflex works