Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Negative Vortex Experience

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Negative Vortex Experience

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    I've sent one Vortex of to the repair shop, it was not holding zero. Was gone about a month and seems fine now, it had >3000 rounds on it.

3 Leupolds went to the repair shop, parallax issues, not holding zero and turret adjustments wanked.

One Bushnell 6500 Tactical, not holding zero well enough for targets but good for hunting, sold that one off.

One Sightron, turret adjustments went out of wack.

At one time all my rifles were Remington 700's with Leupold scopes. These two companies are near the end of sucking the equity out of their brands.

For hunting I prefer Sako's and /or Tikka's. Scopes are higher end Vortex, Sightron, reliability is good for my purposes. I also, have 3 SWFA Super Snipers, two 6x's and a 10x. These scopes a on the heavy side, glass is as good as the PST's and mid range Leupolds. The magic is these scopes is they track and hold zero extremely well......really like the 10x.

NightForce has all the attributes of what a scope should be.

If you like the looks of Nightforce you should check out the new Zeiss VX4 line of scopes with the Zero Stop MOA Turret, I like the 4-16x44 model, seems to be a great compromise for a hunting/target scope.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Not very confidence inspiring in Leupold after that failure
    Not the first Leupold failure I’ve had for sure. I see lots of people say Vortex = garbage and Leupold = gold but I think that’s bullshit. Use enough different optics and shoot enough rounds and you will see most popular brands fail at one point.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

ive owned a diamondback hp 4-16, was changed out after its 1st season. upgraded to a viper HS 4-16, gave it to my gf. Bought a leupold vx5HD 3-15 to sit on my new christensen arms ridgeline and man 100x better. so much better in low light situations, i found that the vipers cross hairs in low light were non existent. on 15x with my vx5 i can literally shoulder the gun and shoot. the viper on the other hand.... on 16x good luck trying to find the right eye relief and the image wasn't all that crisp.
    you get your bang for your buck with vortex i think but id personally never use one again on my main hunting rifle due to to fine of crosshairs and low light capability compared to better scopes.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Not the first Leupold failure I’ve had for sure. I see lots of people say Vortex = garbage and Leupold = gold but I think that’s bullshit. Use enough different optics and shoot enough rounds and you will see most popular brands fail at one point.
    Right you are Gate as every company has their lemons but I’ll bet Vortex has a higher % of lemons based on numbers sold,

I’ve spoken to a couple retailers that will not sell them do to the high number of returns and angry customers to deal with, until they get their quality control in check I doubt it will change, easier to base profit margins on huge volumes of sales instead of quality products, never had a Leupold Failure in 30 years of using them, I’ve had a Swarovski failure, A Bushnell failure, mind you I can honestly say I’ve never had a Vortex failure.......but I’ve never owned one either.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I've also been using Leupolds for about 30 years, and I've still got about a dozen Leupold scopes, but they are not immune to failure, as we can see by my latest pic! I'm not sure I will be buying anymore, actually. I often gravitated towards Leupold due to durability -and I proved that to myself many times in many conditions- but it seems to me other manufacturers have stepped up their game these days.

I think people really need to look into what they are buying a bit more, and tailor their purchases to their needs. Too many decisions are based on not enough research and misguidedly trying to save a few bucks. I sure as hell wouldn't put a Vortex Crossfire or Diamondback on a magnum hunting rifle that is used in harsh conditions, but I wouldn't put a Leupold Rifleman scope on one either. Whereas I would have no problem sticking a Vortex Razor on it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

My only Vortex experience has been trying a couple out a t the counter in the big store on the res, and trying my duck hunting friends binos. His Vortex binos were just a touch brighter than my Nikons, but cost triple the amount so they’d better be a step up in some form. The scope I tried at the store felt like someone had put it in a ziplock with some beach sand and shaken it up. The zoom was super gritty. That’s probably not the case with all of them, but for less money I bought a Nikon Prostaff and am super happy with it. I should add that I was a pro “extreme” sports photographer for about 20 years and all my gear was Nikon. It’s been to the South Pacific, Europe, South America and all over North America shooting surfing, whitewater kayaking, rock and ice climbing, and skiing and snowboarding. In all the crappy environments I had my gear in, the only issue I ever had was dropping a zoom lens in the Anasazi cliff dwellings in southern Colorado. It just was knocked out of whack slightly, and they repaired it for free in 3 days. I’m pretty much a Nikon lifer now.

I have 2 vortex one is a diamondback 3-9-40 and the other is a viper hslr 4-16-44 and havnt has a problem with either. My diamondback was on a 270 for over 1000 rounds and now sits on my 22 mag. My viper was on my 300 win mag for over 500 rounds and now sits on my 6.5x284 and never has had an issue. I am looking at buying a viper pat Gen 2 to put on my 6.5x284 and put my viper Hale back on my 300 win mag. The only scope I have had fail and seen a few fail have been bushnell. Any scope can brand can fail but I will keep buying vortex until I have a good reason not to.

Thanks for all the input folks, I just picked up my brand new Diamondback for the post office, and to make up for my troubles and expense they sent me a new hat. To say I am done with Vortex would be an understatement. I am selling that scope to friend who is just starting out hunting. Too bad they just lost a loyal customer. I just picked up a Leupold RX 1600i TBR DNA rangefinder from International again and wow is it incredible. Looking for a spotting scope now. I'm going to send Vortex a pic of my receipts for the scope and rangefinder to let them know they lost out on some business, will do the same when I get my spotting scope. There is really nothing else I can do. Thanks again everyone, straight shootn.

What scope will you replace the Diamondback with?

Quote Originally Posted by BRimmer View Post
    Looking for a spotting scope now. .
    Check out the Razor 22-48x, could see .284" holes in brown cardboard this morning at 625 yards
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004