Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative Vortex Experience

Re: Negative Vortex Experience

Quote Originally Posted by BromBones View Post
    Owned Vortex Viper HD Binocs going close to 10 years now, never an issue and I definitely don't take care of them like I should. They've actually taken some horrible abuse that's almost embarrassing, as I'm pretty picky about taking care of my gear. Also own a Viper spotting scope and a Viper 3-9 on my 325 WSM.

Zero issues with any of them from mountain hunts to minus 20 winter deer and predator hunting. I haven't adjusted the Viper scope in 3 years - ever year it gets bounced around, dropped, frozen, thawed, and is still holding it's POI with the same load. I'm sold on the quality. I would put the Viper scope almost on par with my Leupold 2.5-8 VX3, which I firmly believe is the all around best hunting rifle scope ever made.

However, I also know that the Diamondback line has some issues here and there. I would never put one on a serious hunting rifle. Same as I'll never ever buy a Leupold VX1 for a hunting rifle again, have had major issues with a number of them, even a few with VX2 scopes. Probably fine if you hunt from a pickup 95% of the time though.
    I own Viper binos and razor binos. You cannot beat the price for the quality.
    I am very picky about optics. I spent 2 weeks looking through many brands including Leupold. I cannot justify spending $3000 on scopes or binos that have almost no difference in clarity!! All I can say is that I have never had an issue with any of the higher end products.
    copper surprize

Quote Originally Posted by BRimmer View Post
    Hey there, so in 2014 I decided to get a new scope and after lots of research, including a post on HBC, I decided on the Vortex Diamondback HP 4x16x42.
    The scope worked great in good to poor conditions but then in November I was hunting in Region 2 in heavy fog and rain and the scope was completely useless, I couldn't see a thing, like a piece of wax paper covering the lens. One decent blacktail not in my freezer and lots of frustration. So Vortex sent me a new scope which was great but now the cost of a box of shells and a day at the range. The new scope worked great until this past fall when the exact thing happened, this time in Region 8 hunting whitetails, another buck not down and more frustration. Sent it in and they repaired it this time. Another box of shells and a day at the range to sight it in. This past May long weekend in Hope in the rain and it fogged up again. So now my $500 scope is close to $800 with hours of frustration and meat not in my freezer. So another phone call and long e-mail along with some pics from a recent alpine hunt to let them know how serious I am about hunting hoping they'd send me a better scope to make up for all my troubles and extra expense. Instead they offered to send me a better scope but have me pay the difference in cost. Completely unacceptable. I would like to say how apologetic and courteous everyone I dealt with at Vortex were throughout this but it doesn't make up for my negative experiences with their product. When I told my tale to a very knowledgeable younger lady at the big store in Abby she smiled knowingly and said, " There's a reason why so many people are familiar with the Voretx warranty, it's because so many people are using it. " I recently picked up a Leupold VX 3i 4.5x14x50 from International and couldn't be happier. Wow what a difference. I know lots of people have Vortex glass and are really happy with it so I don't want to sound like I'm bashing them, I just thought I'd tell my story. Stay safe and straight shootn' this year.
    We have 6 Vortex scopes on everything up to and including a 375 H&H and not a hint of a problem in all the years we have used them.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    When any other Scope manufacturer make scope’s to outshine the vortex Razar HD, and we see them on any rifles competing in PRC’s across the US, we may consider changing - until then we will stick to match proven technology.

we tend to shoot a thousand rounds (practice only) between matches - and compete in 8 - 10 matches (300 to 400 round per match) per year, we need optics that can handle sustained pressure, hold set points and operate in any conditions.

The vortex Razors do it day in day out - month in and month out - year in and year out - and that’s all I cann say about rifle scopes.
    I don't believe the razor and the broke back models are comparable, but I've looked through and owned neither so I could be wrong. Also have reason to believe the razor is assembled in the U.S., broke back put together in the Philippines? I've read the razor is favoured for comp shooting by many, and it should be with its price tag. Lots of high end companies put out 3rd world quality glass to get their market share...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Razor is made in Japan, the Razor AMG is made in USA
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Razor is made in Japan, the Razor AMG is made in USA
    There ya go, both countries are a step up in quality control usually.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

As a budget conscious guy(married) I'm usually trying to get the best gear I can even if it means buying used gear on occasion. I've had two or three pairs of Legend HD binos over the years, basicly run them until the diopter breaks and send them in for replacement. I finally got sick of waiting for months without binos and found some used Swaro SLC for $900 in great condition. Noticeable difference in clarity and illumination and when I had an issue with the eyecups I called Swaro, not only did they register me even though I was the second owner but I had new eyecups at my door in like 2 days. I've had a Leopold VX3 3x10x40 on my 30-06 since new and never had an issue with it, I bought a Nikon 4.5x16x42 and was very disappointed, horrible clarity and super thick reticle lines. I took a chance and bought a used Viper FFP HSLR 4.5x16x50 it sits on my 6.5 Creedmoor and I've shot reasonable groups on steel out to 750 yards with no issue so far. Long story short, buy the best stuff you can get. Not everyone can justify buying a Gunwerks rifle or a Nightforce scope. But if you buy the best you can afford then you're doing everything you can to ensure your success in the field. If it's more important to you to save the money by buying the cheapest version of what you need to get the job done, then I guess you got what you valued most (saving money) instead of seeing the value in having quality gear you can trust for decades.

Cheers, Lozzie
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

I can’t comment on the quality of them as I don’t own one. But I will say they sure market the shit outtta the brand. seems every YouTube star tops his rifle with Vortex and wears First Lite

It's funny how many vortex owners have not owned Leopold or European optics and have themselves convinced that vortex is great value and that better optics are not worth the money or not really any better. They do have great advertising, maybe that's part of it.

No reason to be unhappy with an average quality scope or binos, they don't make the hunter. Just don't pretend that they are something they are not.

I have owned both a vortex spotting scope and rifle scope and wasn't happy with the overall product and value. The spotting scope in particular was really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    It's funny how many vortex owners have not owned Leopold or European optics and have themselves convinced that vortex is great value and that better optics are not worth the money or not really any better. They do have great advertising, maybe that's part of it.

No reason to be unhappy with an average quality scope or binos, they don't make the hunter. Just don't pretend that they are something they are not.

I have owned both a vortex spotting scope and rifle scope and wasn't happy with the overall product and value. The spotting scope in particular was really disappointing.
    Were both products Razors? The vipers and razors work well for us.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Like any other optics company, Vortex higher end stuff is more reliable and better quality than their lower end stuff. Leupold included! I wouldn't use one of Leupolds budget models on a hard hunted rifle, ever.

I've got a number of Vortex products and have had to use the Vortex warranty twice. Once on a Sparc red dot that wouldn't hold zero after 12K rounds on an AR15, and one Viper 4-16 that lost it's turret after 1623 rounds of 50 BMG.

I've also had to use warranty or send for repairs optics by various companies. Leupold a few times for things like broken reticles, won't hold zero and having a turret fall off. Swarovski wouldn't hold zero. Leica binoculars had eye piece fall off once. Another pair one tube went blurry. Bushnell had broken reticles and wandering zeros too. Latest is a Burris scope that won't hold zero after 15K rounds and a Burris red dot that wont' adjust zero anymore.

Your best bet in optics is to pick a reputable company and go with one of their upper end models, but even that doesn't always work, as you can see by my experiences with top of the line optics croaking too.
    Guess I'll be using Leupolds warranty again.....

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!