Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Arms AR-7 review?

Henry Arms AR-7 review?

Does anyone have any experience with the Henry Amrs AR-7? I'm thinking of picking one up just to pack around while hiking and for picking off small game while big game hunting. I've read pretty good reviews but thought I'd reach out here.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Henry Arms AR-7 review?

I had an ar-7 25 + years ago. IMO clunky and gimmicky design. Mine had poor accuracy.

Edit: mine was a charter arms.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

They all seem cheap and gimmicky whenever I’ve handled them. Get a Chiappas little badger or a backpacker 10/22
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I've handled one. Nice & compact but felt cheap, I don't know if I'd trust one to hold up. The Ruger 10/22 takedown is a solid little gun as is the Marlin version, can't remember the model name.

The Chiappa little badger as mentioned above is very good, as is the double badger (22/410 over under). It's a little heavier, but having the 410 is pretty handy.

My gf has a Henry AR-7. Semi-auto is fun to shoot but the action may not cycle properly with quieter subsonic rounds.
    My buddy carries a Chiappa Little Badger while deer hunting and uses the quieter rounds for grouse.
    We use the AR-7 mostly for plinking, sometimes toss it in the truck if heading out on backroads. It's pretty accurate and a nice self contained package.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-R View Post
    My gf has a Henry AR-7. Semi-auto is fun to shoot but the action may not cycle properly with quieter subsonic rounds.
    My buddy carries a Chiappa Little Badger while deer hunting and uses the quieter rounds for grouse.
    We use the AR-7 mostly for plinking, sometimes toss it in the truck if heading out on backroads. It's pretty accurate and a nice self contained package.
    I wouldn't recommend you use subsonic ammo on grouse, I had a couple get away on me when I used CCI quiets so I stopped using them.

I have a Savage Little Rascal that is a tack driver! So much fun to pack around!

Take it for what it is, a survival or emergency package, or just a handy piece to pull out of the boat, sled,quad,trunk etc
    AR-7 or the Papoose stock feels awkward because of its shape as a container for the action. mag and barrel
    Function and accuracy are suitable for its purpose, sights are coarse, trigger pull is rough
    Not sure that a pure SHTF rifle should be a semi-auto, make sure you have the manual handy for maintenance

Had a Papoose and used it on grouse and a lynx, timing was right while out on the sled
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I almost did not buy one based on reviews. But now I wonder if most of the critics have actually owned a Henry AR7, or based their opinion on pure conjecture.

I was getting frustrated with my 10/22 ttd (variable accuracy and a 7% faliure rate), so despite all the negative feedback I bought the Henry.
    Comfortable to aim and shoot, despite its bulbous stock. Smaller to pack. Reasonable accuracy (2" at 50m br or 3-4" standing), less than 1% faliure rate with thousands of rounds fired mostly 40gr rn, standard or high velocity ammo (subsonic won't cycle the action).
    Maybe I just got a "good one"
    YMMV

I have one and find it's pretty accurate and fairly reliable. the hotter the rounds, the better. It does feel cheap, but I can get over that and it weighs nothing. I don't use it enough.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"