Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraser river salmon fishing..

Fraser river salmon fishing..

Okay lets here some predictions...

I remember when I was a teen ager I used to start before the freshet for early may chinook... and fish tell September

now all my river gear looks dusty.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fraser river salmon fishing..

Doubt I’ll fish the Fraser ever again. It’ll be closed indefinitely in the coming years.

It’ll be catch and release just like the sturgeon . Guides gotta eat ya know.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

catch and release is tge worst thing to do to a migrating salmon in a warm river...catch and kill go home less die

Friday, July 06, 2018
    The Fraser River Panel met Friday, July 06 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

Very few sockeye have been caught to-date in Fraser River sockeye test fisheries. The Whonnock gillnet test fishery began on June 22, and the Qualark gillnet test fishery began on July 2. The Qualark and Mission hydroacoustics programs began July 1 and July 5, respectively. Assessments will improve next week with the addition of Cottonwood, Area 20 and Area 12 gill net test fisheries. On July 05 the discharge of the Fraser River at Hope was 5,208 cms, which is approximately 13% below average for this date.

The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on July 05 was 15.50C, which is 0.20C higher than average for this date. Fraser River discharge levels and water temperatures will be monitored closely to determine if specific management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.

All Panel Area Waters remain closed to commercial salmon fishing.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Tuesday, July 10, 2018.
    The first Weekly Report will be Friday, July 13, 2018.

If sockeyes don't open this year - its done. This is the big run cycle that peaked in 2010, but we haven't fished sockeyes since 2014.
    Last year was the first time in 20 years i didn't buy a fishing licence.

The ocean doesn't sound that great either with the Columbia runs suffering, yet Fisheries focuses on the recreational guy.

I predict no sockeye opening for the people who have the least impact on the river, and basically unregulated netting of it from the mouth up to hope.

nets are number 1issue....should just close them period for 8 years...
    start killing some seals...
    host fishing derbys for invasives on spawing grounds and during fry hatch. close offshore salmon farms..
    have merganser duck derbys on spawning grounds.
    cut red tape for volounteer habitat restoration...force logging to include x machine hours for restoration.
    install beter traps for storm water.
    increase requirments for pulp mill and sewer discharges...make hydro dams hold water until river temperatures are high and flow is low.take liscense fees and build some hatcherys including increase salmon stamp fee.
    ohh ya nets...as a collective whole we have to quit being so greedy with our resources...
    let the commercial fisherman focus on seals instead to keep them going...there must be market for them...fur,meat ect...

the bleeding hearts of the world do not realize they hurt more than they help.

Where's the like button?
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

70percent of my protein i have ever eaten has been salmon and mule deer...looking for 1 smoking gun is a joke.
    most issues are multiple factors...
    being a builder i always anylize accidents and failures...
    normally its not 1 issue that causes it its 6-8...
    i am not well enough rounded in ocean conditions but learning kelp beds being ripped up for traffoc is a new item...

i also wonder the effects of offshore dumping if you have more blue clay than you can dispose of you pay a barge to take it out and drop it??? keep in mind this coming from the guy who oversaw the largest building excavation in western canada.
    i cant vote for green as tbey are too left wing...i cant vote liberal there too rape and pillage and there leader is embarresing what do you do...
    any industy above listed a fair compermize should be put in place so they can still operate...if thats a tax break so be it..quit giving leaches so much cash.
    half my income right know is off subsidized houseing even though i disagee with it.

this province needs a real leader and federal fisheries should be shut down....
    the freshwater fisheries of bc is a good step i for one would like to see them take over aggresively and manage it all.

the only good thing about fisheries and oceans is if they do charge someone its a federal charge.
    what about some good protests if everyone set a anchour for commercial and native opening what would they do....?

they do greasy 6 hour openings starting at 11pm so we do not see it..
    if as many people anchoured below the mission bridge as show up for a opening up stream that would be pretty congested...i believe night fishing for sturgeon closed to help get us out of the way..poaching has very low impact on the sturgeon population..
    last time i night fished for sturgeon we called it a night at 35..
    yes i am pissed its a domineint run and we probably will not get any unless we buy them..close the salmon period from pg too steveston out to the gulf...