Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hide destroyed at tannery

Re: Hide destroyed at tannery

What was the name of the Taxi/Tannery instead of all the cryptic talk, would like to know where NOT to take my next cape/hide?
    Thanks
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Exactly how was your cape ruined?...Did the hair slip ?...Did you prep the cape properly ?...Was all the ears and lips turned properly?..A warm cape put in a plastic bag would cause slippage ...How long from shooting the animal till it was brought to the taxidermist?...did the taxidermist turn the lips and ears and flesh it out?...When I sheep hunted and was back in on Aug 1st and killed my ram I did all the proper fleshing and turning myself...Hung it over a bush to air dry and hiked out the next day ...Had salt...The taxidermists kind ...fine powder and rubbed it into the cape..My taxidermist gave me a lesson and showed me how to correctly flesh a cape and skin it off the animal..Too many guys bring the whole shebang in unskinned and are asking for a ruined cape..When they first had a bison hunt in northern BC my taxidermist had about 3-4 bulls that weren't taken care off and the hair slipped on all of them..Just because its cold doesnt mean anything..A hide is a great insulator ..It keeps heat in and cold out..Bacteria can grow and bye bye hair..Might be wrong but can't see a tannery making the hair slip when he does hundreds or thousands of hides ...Hope I'm wrong but sometimes we are our worst enemy....Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    What was the name of the Taxi/Tannery instead of all the cryptic talk, would like to know where NOT to take my next cape/hide?
    Thanks
    If you created a list of every tannery or taxidermist who had experienced a cape slipping, my guess is your choices left would be very very inexperienced choices or just extremely lucky ones. But, a guy can dream....

How was it destroyed?
    Hair slipped?

You may just have to go and get another goat.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

That's a shitty deal for sure but honestly other than the cost of a replacement Cape and the work of hauling it out it's still replaceable in the end and will look the same.. atleast it wasnt the horns that got ruined. Still a heart break but you will get your mount in the end. Hope it all gets sorted for ya

Thanks guys. I got the hide to the taxi within less than a week. He said it looked perfect. Damage happened at the tannery, a few other hides (other species) got damaged as well. Apparently issue in their fumigation. Tannery took responsibility as far as I was told. Some of it can be salvaged, taxi is very helpful.

Linksman313 I am not cryptic. I wanted feedback but not here to publicly ruin someone's business or blame them as it is not their direct fault.

There are more goats. I will get another one. I have my 10.5" horns and will get whatever can be salvaged from the hide.

Thanks for all feedback.

Glad to hear it wasn't your fault...Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by hickman View Post
    Thanks guys. I got the hide to the taxi within less than a week. He said it looked perfect. Damage happened at the tannery, a few other hides (other species) got damaged as well. Apparently issue in their fumigation. Tannery took responsibility as far as I was told. Some of it can be salvaged, taxi is very helpful.

Linksman313 I am not cryptic. I wanted feedback but not here to publicly ruin someone's business or blame them as it is not their direct fault.

There are more goats. I will get another one. I have my 10.5" horns and will get whatever can be salvaged from the hide.

Thanks for all feedback.
    Refreshing attitude.
    Nice horns too!
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by hickman View Post

Thanks for all feedback.
    Now that's a classy guy

SB