Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small game hunting in lower mainland

Small game hunting in lower mainland

Hey guys just wondering if anybody has done small game hunting in the lower mainland ei squirrel rabbits etc....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Small game hunting in lower mainland

Trapped a few rats in the day, the pelts don’t go for much these days though.
    I hear crow tastes ok just don’t shoot one near a dump =]

There’s lots of big game hunting going on in Surrey and Abbotsford.....

lol ^^ guidford behind the mall to the north...lol

I had myself a pretty good LML hunt today. Let me tell you, I did not imagine when I woke up or on my way into work today the pursuit that was about to go down.

Well I stumbled into the office, just like any other day, poured myself some coffee and then went and sat in my spot. After about half an hour or so of sitting completely still other than the occasional sip of coffee and a few key strokes here and there, all of a sudden I detect movement out of my peripheral...

This went from being a regular day into a full on trophy hunt. Now I'm after a record book blackie.

Unfortunately my co-workers (mostly city folk) were useless and had no idea what to do. All their flailing around scared it off. You just know he's gonna show up again even more aggressive.

Well, I kept my eyes open the rest of the day but nothing. Clearly spooked and laying low.Told my co-workers if they see him again, be still and dont make a move until im there.

For lunch we had catered sushi. I'm not a big sushi fan but figured what the heck... it's not considered baiting if it's my "lunch" right? Ethics I know... but I'm desperate so I grabbed a piece with some raw salmon that already smelled kind of off. This should do the trick.

Couple more hours of nothing pass by. Then two of my coworkers call me "he's back! He's in the kitchen". GAME ON! I tell them shut the door and trap him, then I grab my weapon and sneak into the kitchen. I see him and slowly stalk in on him. I could tell it was a bad approach and I was going to be busted... but you know... I got the fever.... WHAM... missed... Ok stay still he might not go far. I could still see him. The stalk seemed like an eternity. Finally I got close enough... SMACK ... Nailed him! A beast that big isn't going down with one shot he was spinning around and let out a death buzz. WHAP... now he's down.

Biggest house fly I have ever killed, hands down. Booner... will make book for sure. Packout wasn't too bad... got him out whole in one trip. Anyone know a good taxidermist?

Sorry no pics but I'll try to get it up on the YouTube in the next couple weeks once I get around to all the video editing.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 07-04-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Anyway enough about me. Hunting small game in the lower mainland... if you mean around in the Fraser valley certainly. There's grouse to be had, as well as snowshoe hare. You would be hard pressed to find a legal squirrel, as you can only hunt the big ratty invasive grey squirrels, but those tend to only hang out in the city.

I would say grouse on the forestry roads is your best bet.

PM Jassmine, (she, he, them) purport to hunt small game in the Lower Mainland.

She would be a great place to start and I am sure she would love nothing more than to help the hunting community anyway she can!

Good luck!

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

In my opinion, we really don't have any decent small game to speak of in the Lower Mainland.

As caddisguy says, the native Douglas squirrels on not legal to shoot, we don't have any rabbits to speak of, grouse, well okay if you're lucky.

I'd go east of Manning Park into Region 8 for snowshoe hares. I saw lots this spring, but almost all on the side of the road in the last 1/2 hour of light.

Remember there is no hunting season for red squirrels

The most productive small game to hunt in the lower mainland is waterfowl. Yes there is some grouse and rabbit in lower numbers

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    In my opinion, we really don't have any decent small game to speak of in the Lower Mainland.

As caddisguy says, the native Douglas squirrels on not legal to shoot, we don't have any rabbits to speak of, grouse, well okay if you're lucky.

I'd go east of Manning Park into Region 8 for snowshoe hares. I saw lots this spring, but almost all on the side of the road in the last 1/2 hour of light.
    Last few years in my Region 2 areas it went from pockets where I knew I could see the odd grouse to seeing them all over rather than just pockets. Not in the numbers I'd see in the south caribou where they are like downtown street pigeons, but I'll see a half dozen just driving out on my trips home from failed blacktail hunting. They spook easily, but I'll stop for them and come home with 2 or 3.

Looks like it could be another decent year. Just camping out a couple weeks ago we saw a couple grouse with a dozen or so little cheepers in tow. And that was just in our camp. I think we saw another 6 or 7 adults driving home.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 07-04-2018 at 09:01 PM.