Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on making boots fit better with lacing technique

Tips on making boots fit better with lacing technique

Hi guys I just got a pair of hanwag alaskans and didn't quite fit the way i was planning in a long hike.

I tried the lacing tips in the following videos and this reeally made a difference in how they fit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OSlxzRJecT0

https://youtu.be/SOE28brAcEc

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tips on making boots fit better with lacing technique

Interesting. 40 years ago we would dunk our hiking boot totally under water and wear a good pair of wool socks and wear the boot all day till dry. Did the same with leather work boots. I guess the key word is leather. Today, most hiking boots has no leather in it.
    Back then it was all sewn together not glued together.
    Hanwag Alaskans are nice boots.
    Last edited by tigrr; 07-03-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I’d go to the hockey skate guy near you

skates used to be leather boots and would break in over time
    new skates need to be punched out and hit with a heat gun to fit right

an experienced skate guy should be able to make them feel good

nit expensive either
    my kids last skates took 3 rounds of punching out. $20
    totally worth it

That's a real interesting tidbit Drillbit....Thanks ...Something to consider...Dennis

I also have a set of Hanwag Alaskans. I have very flat feet and need custom orthodics. Always a pain to get a any footwear fit and I've been through allot. Did the same thing. Tried some different lacing techniques and bang, found a way to lace my boots that make the difference with my "difficult" feet. I have 6 years on these boots now and walked through two sets of soles. Love em

Thanks Jaybe 14....I'm always up to learning something ..Very interesting videos ..Will keep for reference..Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I also have a set of Hanwag Alaskans. I have very flat feet and need custom orthodics. Always a pain to get a any footwear fit and I've been through allot. Did the same thing. Tried some different lacing techniques and bang, found a way to lace my boots that make the difference with my "difficult" feet. I have 6 years on these boots now and walked through two sets of soles. Love em
    I have the exact same issue and wear the alaskans... how are you lacing them???

I found I had too much pressure over the bridge of my foot that causes the foot to ache. Happens with all footwear for me. If I loosen them off over the bridge, the rest of the boot would feel loose and sloppy after a couple km. So now I just tighten the bridge till it is just snug. I use a lock lace on the remaining lacing, progressively tightening each lace more than the one before it. This works for me and I can hike miles and miles with zero discomfort or requirement to readjust. My podiatrist actually recommended this to me when I had my last pair of orthodics made.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-05-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I found I had too much pressure over the bridge of my foot, causing the foot to ache. Happens with all footwear for me. If I loosen them off over the bridge, the rest of the boot would feel loose and sloppy after a couple km. So now I just tighten the bridge till it is snug. I use a lock lace on the remaining lacing, progressively tightening each lace more than the one before it. This works for me and I can hike miles and miles with zero discomfort or requirement to readjust. My podiatrist actually recommended this to me when I had my last pair of orthodics made.
    good to know. I walked ten k with soaked socks (stupid gators) with 70 lbs and the finally seemed to break in around my foot but then the insoles were shot. Been trying a flat/thinner insole which has been helping but I found the same thing as you. The outside edge of my foot would ache.. I’d loosen off the boot and that’d fix the ache but that’s how the insoles got pooched.... I didn’t have full feeling in my toes for almost a month and a half because the insoles ‘crunched’ on me before we finally carried our elk out.

Tip for anyone looking to expedite the break in process for boots that don't fit quite right.
    (I will forgo why a person would by boots by brand over fit)

Grab your kettle and steam your boots.
    Lace them up and go for a walk.
    Rinse and repeat.

The steamed heat will relax the plastic heal counter in the boot as well as making the leather soften. As the plastic counters cool they will take the shape of your heel better (and arch if there is a counter there). Same for the leather component. Softens it up and allows for a very quick break in period.

Skate shop with a boot press is a great option for stubborn spots to punch out as Drillbit mentioned.
    I would steam first (cracked a heel counter in some Meindls punching them out cold).

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea