Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting ATV

Hunting ATV

I've never owned an ATV before, but am thinking about getting one to use mostly for hunting. Would like to get some advice on what would be a suitable size, and if there are certain brands/models specifically known for reliability. I'd be using it for scouting trips, as well as for 1 to 2 week hunts, in places like the Chowade River, Halfway River and Redfern Lake areas. There would be at least one other ATV along as well, with one rider plus gear, per ATV. Might also pull a lightly loaded trailer on some trips. Not interested in a side by side.

I hear that Honda make reliable machines. The simplicity of the 420 Rancher seems appealing, but the question is if it's ENOUGH machine, and being a solid rear axle, if the ride would be smooth enough. I'd probably buy used, and would want something fairly new. Budget is up to about $8000. Am just in the planning phase right now. Any info would be much appreciated.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting ATV

I'm a Can Am guy ...Had a 350 Big Bear yamaha first quad and it was a POS...Went to Can Am in 2007 and loved it..650 cc ..Kept it till 2012 and traded it in on a brand new 650 with power steering...Love the dual cylinder and efi...It will pull anything..The ride is fantastic and I've only had to service both quads ..No breakdown issues..Another consideration is service..If you don't have the service then it can be a problem..In the Peace where I hunt I see lots of Can Ams a few Yamahas and various older quads ..I have the two up Max..Not into Polaris or Honda ...11 years a Can Am guy and I can depend on my machine going and hauling what I want ...Good economy and dependable...Dennis

Honda 420 is a beauty

Ive been a polaris sportsman guy for a very long time, just purchased my 3rd one last week, had a 1996 400 then a 2006 500 and now an 2018 570sp touring, I have never had any issues whatsoever.
    watch a few youtube reviews and comparisons (dirttrax tv usually has some good ones) and make your own decisions, its the same as the old chev ford dodge thing everyone has a different opinion and experience.
    mine with polaris has been excellent, all my hunting buddies also have polaris and in our camp there are 5 polaris machines 4 sportsmans and 1 ranger
    Last edited by Bag1; 07-03-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Honda rincon, have never had a problem 11 yrs old and running strong. HONDA!!!!!

I went through what you are doing back in 2008, resarched all the quad rides, put in hours trying to decide which bike to buy. I have been huntiug for years, but had never had a quad, so did all kinds of research. Ended up with a Polaris 500 Sportsman. One of the selling features, besides all the handling and stuff, was that most reviews rated this bike as the most comfortable! Since buying this bike, I have seen that Polaris is trying to be on top of their game, modifying their bikes as appropriate, and updating as necessary. So in 2016 I sold my 2008 500 Sportsman and bought a Polaris RZR 900 trail side by side. Never a regret from me from buying either bike!

I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550xp now, and had a 2001 Sportsman 500 HO before that. Never had any issues with either of them. I think you will find the prices on them favorable compared to the other brands if your shopping for a new one. If you get at least a 500 you can pull quite a bit. I pull a small trailer with a whole moose on it, or I can drag them across a logging cut [ungutted] if necessary.

I have a 2012 yamaha kodiak 450. Not the fanciest machine but is a workhorse. It is also a little smaller than some comperable machines.

Picked up a 2018 Can-Am Outlander Max 570 XT this spring. Love it! Tonnes of power, lots of room for two, have about 50 hours on it now and no complaints at all.

An independent rear suspension Honda Rubicon 500 may be one to go look at if you're looking for something comfortable that will last 20 years or so. You're $8000 budget is pretty close to the price of a new one.
    Belt drive ATV's suck and blow at the same time. Get a real transmission, get a Honda.