Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting ATV

Re: Hunting ATV

That Honda is a work horse. Solid axle and all. If it’s strictly for hunting you can’t really go wrong with that machine.
    I was looking at that machine a year ago, but for 500 more I was able to score a new 2016 Kodiak 700.

Stay clear of Polaris and can am...at least I do but end of the day feel free to dump your money on what ever you want.

If you want to get in and out out of the bush without being towed, never hesitate to buy a Honda or a Yamaha product.

This will be another long Chevy vs Ford debate from all HBC experts
    but we all know dodge makes the best diesel and Toyota makes the best gasser

I have a can am 650 xt max. Love it. 2 sets of tires, the stock Carlisle are great and a set of ITP Blackwater evaluations, one size up, which I put on when we go to northern Alberta. Chew through that Alberta gumbo like nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertuber View Post
    An independent rear suspension Honda Rubicon 500 may be one to go look at if you're looking for something comfortable that will last 20 years or so. You're $8000 budget is pretty close to the price of a new one.
    Belt drive ATV's suck and blow at the same time. Get a real transmission, get a Honda.
    ++++++++++1 Also you can get a rancher with IRS now. Solid rear axle's do have their advantages though if you were to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertuber View Post
    An independent rear suspension Honda Rubicon 500 may be one to go look at if you're looking for something comfortable that will last 20 years or so. You're $8000 budget is pretty close to the price of a new one.
    Belt drive ATV's suck and blow at the same time. Get a real transmission, get a Honda.

Gears! Gears! Gears!
    Honda has 'em .....
    Reliable, good service network, good re-sale value, and no belts!
    ps ...... belts are for holding your pants up.

Quote Originally Posted by drum_boy101 View Post
    Picked up a 2018 Can-Am Outlander Max 570 XT this spring. Love it! Tonnes of power, lots of room for two, have about 50 hours on it now and no complaints at all.
    Sold my 1990 Honda 350 4Trax a month ago .... had about 28 years on it and no complaints at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    That Honda is a work horse. Solid axle and all. If it’s strictly for hunting you can’t really go wrong with that machine.
    I was looking at that machine a year ago, but for 500 more I was able to score a new 2016 Kodiak 700.

Stay clear of Polaris and can am...at least I do but end of the day feel free to dump your money on what ever you want.

If you want to get in and out out of the bush without being towed, never hesitate to buy a Honda or a Yamaha product.

This will be another long Chevy vs Ford debate from all HBC experts
    but we all know dodge makes the best diesel and Toyota makes the best gasser
    Why is Can Am bad?
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Lots of positive comments about Honda. From what I gather, both the Honda 420 and 500 have about the same amount of power, and they seem to be pretty far behind most of the other machines out there. I like the idea of the 5 speed transmission, but how does the Honda perform in the bush, with the weight of some gear, going through mud and up steeps hills, etc.? For the guys who are running them, would you say there's enough power there, or do you always wish for more?
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

I have a couple of rubicons. They seem pretty good to me. It pretty much keeps up to those pooooolais' with my 100 lb k9 on the back, and a big old action packer. Put it in full auto and drives like a car. Being a dirt bike guy from years past, they are not over powered by any means. You aint going to wheelie them. Buuuuutt, it's a Honda!!

I picked up a Yamaha griz 700 and marlon trailer and use the same trails your talking about going on. If you are pulling one trailer with wall tent, stove, lots of gear and a moose thru potentially big mud holes, muskeg, gumbo or 1ft snow fall with ice over mud pits etc.... more power is a big plus. If you are 2 guys pulling 2 trailers with weight divvied up with 2 animals on way out a 500 will probably be fine. Some of the mud holes with gumbo get very sticky. Everyone must have a working winch.

2009 can am 500 5000 km on it without a single problem