Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hunting ATV

Re: Hunting ATV

I have a 2013 Yamaha Kodiak 450. I was going to get a Honda or Yamaha when I was buying went with the Kodiak as it was 3 inches shorter and i could close my tailgate on my truck (6'6 box). Not regretted the decision one bit.

When i tree planted in the early 90's we ran honda 250's and I have been on a machine that had four people on it with another couple boxes of trees and we were going down a logging road fast enough that i thought if one of us falls off we are going to hospital.

The salesman is going to try and tell you that the 450-500 dont have enough power and you should step up to a 700, 800 or a 1000. Dont listen to them. I can go almost 80kms a hour down a FSR and at that speed it down right scary. Not sure why you would want to go faster. Also when I bought mine the guy asked if I was going to be plowing snow and if so the 450 would not be able to do it. At the time I said no as we had a small driveway. He said if I was plowing I needed to get into a 700. They must be related to the salesman that tell you a 300wm is the minimum you should look at when hunting deer.

Well now we have a big driveway and I bought a plow for it. The limiting factor for snow removal is the plow and not the machine. Its shocking how big a snow pile I can push with the puny 450. I dont even put chains on it and only put it in 4x4 when pushing the big piles that i have made in the middle of the driveway.

I bought when our dollar was close to par and looked at getting a machine in the states. It was way cheaper then what some of the dealers wanted up here so defiantly look around. I found South Cariboo yamaha and the yamaha dealer in vernon to be only a 3-4 hundred dollars more then what I could in the states when you actually crunched the taxes and import etc. That said both dealers were easily at least a $1000 cheaper then buying here in kamloops or anywhere I phoned on the coast.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Some very useful info there, guys. Based on those excellent comments, I've decided on the Honda Rubicon. And instead of getting a used one, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a brand new one. I just have to decide on which model now. I'm leaning towards the DCT Deluxe. It should provide very reliable service for many years to come. My bro on the other hand, is getting a Can-Am Outlander 570.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 375shooter View Post
    Some very useful info there, guys. Based on those excellent comments, I've decided on the Honda Rubicon. And instead of getting a used one, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a brand new one. I just have to decide on which model now. I'm leaning towards the DCT Deluxe. It should provide very reliable service for many years to come. My bro on the other hand, is getting a Can-Am Outlander 570.
    Great job on going with the honda, it will outlast the Can-Am by many years, there is a reason you see 80's hondas still kicking around.

Good choice!!! If I ever decide to buy a newer ATV it will definitely be another Honda. My current ATV is a 1989 Honda Fourtrax 300, and although not fancy, and definitely not a power house, it has been extremely reliable over the years.

You made a good decision. Rubicon's are great ATV's

There's a reason used Honda's are few and far between.

The guys who have had various brands and try a CanAms stick with the brand, which tells you something. Truth be told ,it's hard to get a truly bad ATV. I've worked on two Yamis and a Artic Cat in the bush. My '08 CanAm needs a screen in front of the rad like a Honda, it picks up grass seed. CanAms are famous for their ride , handling, and power. SkiDoo dealers are everywhere, unlike Yamaha. Get power steering !!
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 10-03-2018 at 01:18 PM.

I have a 420 rancher 16000 k on it runs great . But my 1000 Can Am LTD with 28s is like just point me its a SXS just to much money and the fox air ride GREAT

BUT I WANT MY OLD HONDA 300 BACK

Just for your info you can get a 420 Honda Rancher with IRS. Mine has hauled 4 Moose out of clear cuts..The Yamaha has had some front end collapsing issues but apparently Yamaha has fixed the issue. Can Am ,Polaris can have reliability issues .Suzuki I have heard are good but I have no first hand info as with Arctic cat and Kawasaki. My Honda is a 2009 Auto IRS with power steering, Canadian trail edition. I put a pull start on it and have done oil changes, that is it for extra costs.It is always a Ford vs Chev debate. People always think the quad they own is the best. I had a 2003 Foreman it was great as well.I just got a deal on the 2009 otherwise I would still be using the Foreman .Good luck.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I've never owned an ATV before, but am thinking about getting one to use mostly for hunting. Would like to get some advice on what would be a suitable size, and if there are certain brands/models specifically known for reliability. I'd be using it for scouting trips, as well as for 1 to 2 week hunts, in places like the Chowade River, Halfway River and Redfern Lake areas. There would be at least one other ATV along as well, with one rider plus gear, per ATV. Might also pull a lightly loaded trailer on some trips. Not interested in a side by side.

I hear that Honda make reliable machines. The simplicity of the 420 Rancher seems appealing, but the question is if it's ENOUGH machine, and being a solid rear axle, if the ride would be smooth enough. I'd probably buy used, and would want something fairly new. Budget is up to about $8000. Am just in the planning phase right now. Any info would be much appreciated.
    showthread.php here's the thread with poll I did a Cpl years back when I was looking for an ATV,

I went with a Honda Rubicon 500, power steering, EFI and independent suspension are a total bonus for a ATV

I asked the mechanics at 3 different dealers and asked which one to buy, they all said buy Honda as they are so dam reliable, we just don't get them in for repairs....
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America