Thread: Transporting meat on a plane?

Transporting meat on a plane?

Hi all,

I have been putting in for the Alberta draws for three years now, and in the event that I get drawn for a Mule deer, I am trying to work out how best to bring the meat home (that's assuming I get something of course...).

I will probably be flying Vancouver (or Abby) to Calgary and back, so curious to hear how best to transport meat?

I have heard of guys using the soft sided Yeti coolers, etc, but im not keen to spend that much money.

What are some other options??
    Last edited by ajr5406; 07-03-2018 at 02:49 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Transporting meat on a plane?

cut and wrapped frozen styrfoam cooler.. you get one for free and you pay $1 per pound after... keep them under 50lbs per cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    cut and wrapped frozen styrfoam cooler.. you get one for free and you pay $1 per pound after... keep them under 50lbs per cooler.
    Are these the cheap ones you get a CT or the dollar store? Do they keep the meat frozen for 5+ hrs?

yes sir...dolleys in prince rupert did it for me for my fish...when i flew home early do to fires.

Give the airline a call. You aren't getting bad advice here but each airline has their own policies. Get it from the horse's mouth!

call local butcher shops where you are heading...
    i normally fly to alberta to hunt and borrow my freinds gear...

if you are aftet muleys i am guessing you will be going south...that said i know the shop east of edmonton does it. i had some beers with the owner at a airport pub...

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    if you are aftet muleys i am guessing you will be going south...that said i know the shop east of edmonton does it. i had some beers with the owner at a airport pub...
    Yes, around Medicine Hat.

It will depend how cold the meat is to start with. If it is frozen and you put 50 lbs in a suitcase with some freezer wrap and news papers around it, it will keep for several days without thawing. (I know from personal experience). If it is very cold when you are ready to travel and you put it in a heavy plastic bag (so no blood leakage), with a few ice packs around it, freezer wrap and newspaper around it, it will still be cold after your 5 hour trip. If you have coolers that's fine, but any old suitcase lined with newspaper will act as just as good cooler for your needs. Back in the 70's I transported the meat from a wild boar that I shot in Tennessee back to Edmonton in a suitcase. The meat was still frozen but - I should have left it there as even the smell of it cooking was enough to drive you out of the house.

My American hunters took their bear skulls home as carry on’s!
    Tell it how it is!!!