Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bison hunting 7-57A

Re: Bison hunting 7-57A

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Yeah, argos 6x are just under the 500 kg limit when at dry, unloaded weight
    Not sure if the 500 rule was set arbitrarily or to spec out the argos

what does a 800 quad with tracks and two riders weigh? well over 500
    just sayin
    Goes off of the listed weight from the manufacturer on that particular machine, doesn't include rider or add on's or gear. And the weight limit was raised to 750kg in the new reg's anyway to account for SxS's.

I had that draw in 2012. The first week of October seen -20 over night. The second week was +8. We arrived October 13 and it was wet and muddy. Then on the 16 or 17 it snowed 18".

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Goes off of the listed weight from the manufacturer on that particular machine, doesn't include rider or add on's or gear. And the weight limit was raised to 750kg in the new reg's anyway to account for SxS's.
    Haven't studied the rules myself, just spouting about Argos
    If they are allowed, and knowing their capabilities, I'd be calling Prince George and renting on for that hunt in a heart beat.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Yep. That would be the easiest move for sure.

I will have to look up and agro renter in PG and see what they have. Otherwise I guess quads would be most practical in the second half of October.....

Good on ya for taking this serious
    I don't have the partners to do a hunt like this but always watch others
    interested in what you find out about argos and the new rules
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

We have been lucky enough to do this hunt 3x in the past 5 years (Oct 1-15, Oct 15-31 & Jan 16-31). Bring quads (or side by sides). We even used one of our quads during the January hunt to pack gear to Horsecamp (although you needed the sleds to pack the snow).

MY hunting group and I did the early Oct hunt 2 years ago where we were able to fill both tags and were fortunate enough to get it again this year. In both cases we are or did use quads. We were there for 10 days approximately and the temperature ranged from +5 to -12 over night. It snowed on and off while we were there but we were able to get around with out to many issues for the most part. If I remember correct another group we knew had the same hunt as you and they used quads and were able to harvest their Bison without issue as well. If you have any other questions about the hunt or the location feel free to PM me and we can chat. Good Luck with your hunt and I hope you bag one.

PS. The advice about getting off the beaten path is good. Drive on the quad until you reach the area you think they are in and then put some miles on the boots, Oh and be ready to pack one out.

Great advice. Thanks. We got a ranch cabin booked and are still looking to buy quads. We will rent them if we have to but this is a good excuse to buy! We may have some questions so thanks for the offer of advice!

Like others have said quads are the best bet. We had the late Nov draw two years ago, had a SXS, 2 quads, and a sled and we never used the sled. I'm sure you'll be ok with quads a month earlier.